Buying a New Computer - Need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

gohorsesgo

Solid State Member
Howdy,
Well, this is my first post so hopefully things will go well. I am retired (though some might say retarded) and although fairly knowledgeable regarding the use of computers, no geek or techie by any stretch of the imagination. I have had a Compaq 5050 since 1998 and never an operational problem noted, but with Ram of 128mb (upgraded to 256mb about 15 months ago) and the 8gb hard drive (Yes, in the dark ages they did make hard drives with only 8gb of space!!), and I won't mention a P2 Celeron!! Anyway, the old baby has been good to me, but it is time for a proper funeral and an upgrade into the 21st century. I am no gamer by any stretch of the imagination, as about the only games I play are golf, football and try flying a plane around once in awhile. I use the computer mostly for email, word processing, chats, online research and a lot of useage of the Media Player while doing other things online. They say that a little knowledge in anything can be dangerous, and I am finding that is especially true when it comes to computers. I looked at some DELL's on their site and know a few friends, not in town, who swear by their DELL! I don't even own one, but did have an outreagously negative experience with their customer service when simply trying to ask a pre-purchase question. I even wrote to the Chairman and CEO, but neither apparently had time to respond to a potential customer. So, aside from my personal negative experience, I have read some pretty nasty reviews and since I can not see or feel one of their computers I think they are off my list of potentials. About two weeks ago I came across this term, AMD, when shopping at a local independent computer shop and have done a ton of reading, mostly online and I can say that I now have a 'little knowledge" which as previously stated can be dangerous. I have looked and looked, read and read, talked and talked and although these choices are not in cement I have come down to an interest in both an "emachine T-5026 with an IP4" and "HP A810N with an AMD-64" so I was hoping for some good advice from what appears to be a fine group of computer experts. Please keep your advice at the 3rd grade level! Thanks. I noticed the the emachine does not have Hyper-Threading Technology (now if I only knew what that was), and only has a System Bus speed of 533mhz as compared to 800mhz on most others and even a 1600mhz on the HP A810N (though I understand AMD uses systems differently). Based on my old Compaq, even with those questions, I suspect the new eMachine will look like a jet airplane. Since I have been talking with a bunch of guys about the new upgrade, the AMD-64 processor has kind of been pushed to the forefront and I must say I am leaning toward the HP

OOPS, hit the wrong key and posted a little early! Anyway, I am leaning toward the HP A810N with the AMD-64 processor, but with that unit I have a couple of questions. The L2 Cache is only 256K and based on all other computers, that seem exceptionally low. Is that a problem or does the manner in which the AMD-64 processor operates make that a non or not a big deal issue? Also, the video memory is 128mb shared, thus making the 512mb Ram, actually only 384mb, right? Is that an issue or does my usage requirements make that a non or not a big deal issue? Anyway, which would you suggest and for what reasons? I like the HP unit and like I said have been very satisfied with my old Compaq unit and in addition like the 64 bit processor, but with almost no software for it to support right now it might be an overkill? By the time viable 64 bit software arrives, this particular computer might be ancient, at least in the computer world. Thanks for any help you can provide as I am about to make up my mind in the next week. Enough knowledge!! LOL.

Yes,

AMD's do have smaller L2 cache, but they make up for it big time with shorter pipelines, which they rely on to run fast, unlike Intel, which rely on raw speed for their, well, speed. Intel has larger cache storages, but longer pipelines, which matters alot during gaming. that is why AMD is usually used for games, where it is needed most. And Intel for workstations and such. But it seems AMD is getting through to people, I still use Intel, but my next rig ( SFF case rig) Will be AMD.

HTH

Alex

Sorry if this is confusing, I read it over a couple times, and tried to make sure my sentences made sense. LOL

well, automatically if your going for one of those two pack PCs I'd say get the HP, but you'll find out soon enough that most everyone on these forums builds their own pc, and if you can fly a plane as you posted above, I'm sure you can summon the patience and required reading of manuals to put together a PC :) , just say the word and the amount your willing to spend and techies will flock to design it for you :D
(especially if some 13 yr olds can do it ;) )

Gage

Thank you Gage, and if I put down my computer controls and learn to fly a real plane, I will be sure follow your advice.

LOL :p flight simulator or even the paper sort require the same amount of technicality as building :D

as gage sed if u name a price ppl on here will tell u what to buy and where to get it from and u wont get ripped off like any of them companies do, dell, hp, emachines are all rubbish. They try to sell their computers with high tech words that alot of people dont understand and think oo that sounds good when really its just a run of the mill thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom