buying laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
can any of you guys find some more specific links to laptops, im looking to buy one myself for no more than £500. I suppose i would want a decent proccessor but i would be more inclined to get one that was fairly *future proof* and i could upgrade it a few times before it was time to get rid of it.
THANKS IN ADVANCE

i know im gonna get flamed for this but i think an ibook will suit her well
no crashes
no spyware/viruses
easy to use

Hey im no expert but from what i hear the ibooks are great but there generally more expensive and im sure you wouldnt be able to get one for £500 although maybe £600
Any more specific makes and models people know that they have found deals on??

yea i know she likes the looks of a ibook but as u say they are far too expensive, plus she has never used a mac before so that would be a problem. thanks for replies

I'm not sure if they ship to the uk, but if you're willing to spend close to your maximum of $1150 US, then you might look at an ibuypower. They have a centrino laptop for $1000 US, though you'll have to buy more ram, as it only has 256. However, a centrino-type would suit her nicely, as they tend to specifically engineered for high battery life, albiet at the cost of performance.

just had a look and yea really good but only ships to usa and canada :'( thats one of my main problems when tryin to find one

yea well she seems to like dells dunno why, but again its got a rubbish celeron cpu :(

You got us mixed up, there is one person looking for a laptop for there girlfriend and im looking for one myself.

I know Celerons aren't great but im really not sure what i should be buying, i want to pay at most £500 and i want to buy from some where that is decent and i am garunteed to get my goods, not some un-known web-site. I dont mind a fairly low spec as i'd be willing to update a few bits after a month or two and it is only really going to be used for emails and word proccessing, although knowing me i'll probably put a bit more on it. Any ideas?

I suppose i might be being a bit too hopeful and maybe ill stretch to £610 and get the one Soloman02 suggested from insight*

Are insight ok? any other ideas?

To answer the original posters question:

A low spec computer is more than enough man. I have been doing fairly intensive engineering simulations on a PIII desktop. Works fine. I am sure your gf will mainly be doing just research, internet, word processing, and basic multimedia. Any mainstream laptop would do really. I don't think dell/compaq/e-machines, etc. sell Pentium 200's anymore :)..

Just remember, she doesn't play Doom III. She doesn't need to overclock. :)

The most important thing for her is probably the weight of the damn thing. And of course a decent display that doesn't kill her eyes. Even though I've never owned a celeron, the boot up process aside, what is she going to do to take advantage of the higher cache size in a normal processor? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom