Buying a Laptop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2004, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to forbez06
Default Buying a Laptop

Hey, this is my first post and I hope that I can get some good help on these forums. Anyways, I am looking to buy a laptop now. It is going to be used for gaming, school work, and things like that. I am looking to spend up to $1500 if at all possible.

Specs that I would like:
2.0+ ghz processor
256+ mb ran (expandible to 1 gb)
64+ mb radeon or nvidia based graphics card

Those are the three main things that really need to be included. Obviously with those kinds of specs, I am not going to be able to buy most computers like Dell, Ibuypower, and Alienware. I have been looking at sits like Tiget Direct, New Egg, Refurb Depot, and Overstock. I have seen some good systems, but not exactley what I want.

What I want to know are a few things:
1) Can video cards be replaced on laptops? How hard is it to do?
2) Do you know of any sites that sell notebooks for cheap?
3) Any other suggestions on buying a notebook?

If my questions seem novice-like it is because I do not have much experience with laptops. I hope this will change soon though. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-10-2004, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to aye29 Send a message via Yahoo to aye29

Most laptop video cards in general cannot be upgraded, the only companies that I know of that upgrade laptop video cards are Alienware and Voodoo. If you want decent battery life out of your laptop, make sure you get one with a mobile processor and not one with a desktop processor.
Closed Thread