Buying an AMD CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlasherZ

Beta member
I currently own a Athlon XP 2600+ which runs at standard:angry: 2.08gig. I have a chance 2 buy a new cpu and looking at the 2700+ & 2800+ i have noticed that the 2700+ is 2.167gig and has a memory cache of 256kb and the 2800+ runs @ 2.08gig and has a cache of 512kb. Double that of my 2600+ and the 2700+.

What is a memory cache for your CPU and how does it improve the performance?

P.S Why doesn't AMD just say XP 2gig.. XP2.2 etc. etc. like P4?

it would be a waste of money to get 100 or 200 Mhz gain. it is best to overclock your CPU. press DELete at beginning of bootup to enter cmos setup. change CPU multiplier up a bit and save configuration. example if multiplier is at 9.0 change to 10.0 or 9.5, ect. go slowly upwards.

if your computer is unstable go back and change it down. in windows press windows key+pause/ break and see what is your cpu speed. if it does not show cpu speed type dxdiag into a run box. you may need version 8 or 9 of MS direct X to show proper speed.

AMD does that I guess for people to look. When they hear XP2800+ they get interested in it because they would think of it as a 2.8Ghz. Its all the name my friend. I would definitly prefer the 2800+. Going with the 2700+ wouldn't be worth it! ;)

Well, i think its because the 2800 is equivalent to a p4 2.8. so if you went to a shop and saw for the same price an AMD 2.25ghz or a P4 2.8ghz which is the average housewife gonna go for? the 2800 is a kinda yardstick equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom