buy new comp or build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnev_89

Daemon Poster
i was all set to build my own comp...but then i was just seeing what kind of comp i could buy for the same price, and i came across an awesome deal on the hp m1050y. for $1725 i'd be getting this:

Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Media Center Edition
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 550 w/HT Technology (3.4GHz)
Memory 1 GB DDR / PC3200 (2 DIMM)
Hard Drive FREE UPGRADE from 200 to 250GB 7200 rpm SATA drive
Primary CD/DVD Drive Double Layer 8X DVD+RW/+R drive
Secondary CD/DVD Drive 16x max DVD-ROM Drive + Intervideo WinDVD Software
Front Productivity Ports 2 USB 2.0, 1 Firewire, 9-in-1 card reader + WinDVD
Graphics Card 256MB DDR ATI Radeon X600 Pro with TV-Out and DVI
Sound Card Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS with front audio ports
Keyboard and Mouse HP Wireless Media Center kybd, Wireless Opt. Mouse
Speakers Altec-Lansing VS3151 5.1 Speakers
Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works 7.0/Money 2004/MSN Encarta Plus

i already have a monitor, so that's out of the equation.

now, i know that usually building your own comp is cheaper, but i doubt i can get something equivolent to this for the same price... also, i've never built a comp before, so if something goes wrong then i'm basically screwed. also, i don't get an overall warranty like i'd be getting on this.

is it still worth it to build a comp, or should i just get this??

thanks

You get a warrenty for every single part you own when you buy each part seperately so if it's warrenty you're concerned about then thats covered. Generally for a CPU it's like a 3 year warrenty, VGA Card, generally a year or so...basic point.....all your parts will have a warrenty. Buying computers from HP and Dell will limit your abilities as far as being able to possibly OC in the future or even upgrading memory will be a ***** because they make their motherboards so that they and only they can upgrade cause they figure you don't know what you're doing. My advice if you REALLY want to learn about computers, read a crap load and build your own. BTW That X600 will suck balls.....it can't compare to nVidia's 6600 at all. I don't have the link but it basically said the X600 isn't even worth the time of day. Basically nvidia owns all next gen cards, but if you go to the previous generation then its ok to get ATI. If you search in the right spots you should be able to build a cheaper computer depending on what you want to have in it really.

Just double glanced the price...dude...you can build a way better computer and still have enough money for like...top of the line graphics card if you wanted. Do you need EVERYTHING? for a computer or just certain parts? Do you also need the operating system or do you have one at home you can install on?

Respond to this and I'll give you a list of necessary parts to build your computer (I also need to know if you need a seperate case and power supply) and it'll cost a helluva lot less than $1700 have more options and probably be faster. If you're looking for Intel based computer though, my motherboard suggestion won't be great because I don't know much about intel. I personally like AMD Better. If you were looking to get that P4 3.4 GHz you can probably have room to afford the new AMD 64 bit processor which with a good stick of RAM and a graphics card that thing will be awesome.

Conclusion: Get back to me about the above questions and also I'd like to know what kind of uses you hope to get out of this computer. Video editing, gaming, checking e-mail and internet or what. C-ya :D

Sorry Nubius but sometimes you just type so much i cant even think about reading it!!!.... well you said $1725 correct? thats a ton man.. give me 1700 dollars and i could make ur comp WAY better then the one u listed. trust me if you want to spend 1700 make one urself and it will be far superior

if you guys say that i can build one better than that for cheaper then who am i to argue?

nubius,
i basically need everything except for the monitor. i don't have the os so i'll need to get that too. if it were up to me, i'd like an amd processor instead of a pentium. also, a ncie video card, something like a 6600 since i've heard a ton of good things about that card. also, i don't care about the case, as long as it's big, looks nice, has a nice p/s and has a glass window i can see through :). also, 1gb of ram and if possiblle 2 raptor 74gb 10000rpm hd's, one for windows and one for linux.

like i said i've never built my own comp before so i'm not sure about all this.

thanks for all your help!!

whoops, forgot to write what i'm using the comp for:

the basic stuff (internet, e-mail, word processing, etc)
some gaming
video-editing
photoshop
my basic source of entertainment :)

jnev_89 said:
whoops, forgot to write what i'm using the comp for:

the basic stuff (internet, e-mail, word processing, etc)
some gaming
video-editing
photoshop
my basic source of entertainment :)

for this u need an Intel CPU!
for gaming u need an AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom