Burnt Out Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah but we can see the smeared mess on the heatsink. Is it AS5 that you used or just normal crap?

The grease I used is quoted as being:

"1gm AeroCool Aero-700 thermal grease. Thermal Conductivity >7.5W/m-K, 25% silver induded"

meh, never heard of it, shoulda gone with AS5, although if you applied that correctly it wouldn't have burnt out your cpu

and where did u get this processor? it's always worth a try to call the place you got it at and ask if you can get a refund (just say it was stable for x months and it burnt out all of a sudden, dont mention the thermal paste stuff and hope they won't notice/don't know ;))

Close enough. Get a new CPU, and clean the heatsink off VERY well, and put a extremly small dot of the paste on the die it self and set the heatsink right ontop of it.

Nice idea diabolo

I just hope the store owner is as stupid as I was.....

Well, I guess they all are here in Wales;)

it's always worth a try to call the place you got it at and ask if you can get a refund (just say it was stable for x months and it burnt out all of a sudden, dont mention the thermal paste stuff and hope they won't notice/don't know )
Dude it's a pretty freakin obvious burn mark. You gotta just barely look at the CPU to notice that black circle on the thing.

That paste says Silver included, so yeah that pretty much shorted out the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom