Bumped My HDD :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
I was setting up my server, and I have my hard drives set up outside the case, making things a little easier. It's only for the time being, when they all setup I'm move them back into the case. But, anyway, one drive was on my case, and I bumped it, rather hard, and it shut down and spun back up. I heard a tiny scraping noise too, cant be good. I know that you are not suppose to even MOVE drives, for the heads can touch the plates and make bad things happen. The drive shut down, and then spun back up. I imagine that is some sort of feature that when a hard shock is detected the drive shuts down in order to minimize damage. I know laptops have that, but far more advanced than a extreme shock.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone thinks if that will cause some serious damage to the drive or just not a small amount of. I cant at the moment test the drive in question, if you check this thread it will tell you why.

Anyone think that my drive is dead? I'm looking for a no to this question, but tell me the truth please. Dont sugar coat it, if my drive is spent tell me.

Does the drive work> If so, no damage has probobly been done (nothing major).

Run scandisk and chkdisk to look for bad sectors on the hard drive if your really worried.

Pretty sure it works. I think I got off rather lucky, but there were still the inherent bad things that will happen. I will run chkdsk and scandisk soon and find the bad sectors I got. I'm depressed.

On a side note,Fading, I want to ask about your computer, if I may. Why do you have PC3200 memory running at 225mhz?You said corsair, so the way you worded it makes me believe that they are matched. Why is it all runnning at 225mhz? You have an AMD 64 with the FSB running at 225? Arent they 800? And your chipset, what is the 250gb? I dont mean to be a jerk, but some things you say on there dont make sense. Or, are absolutely absurd. If those specs are correct, you are hella robbing your machine of SOOOOOOOO much power! You got some badass components in there, and from what I am reading they are horribly underclocked.

Him said:
Pretty sure it works. I think I got off rather lucky, but there were still the inherent bad things that will happen. I will run chkdsk and scandisk soon and find the bad sectors I got. I'm depressed.

On a side note,Fading, I want to ask about your computer, if I may. Why do you have PC3200 memory running at 225mhz?You said corsair, so the way you worded it makes me believe that they are matched. Why is it all runnning at 225mhz? You have an AMD 64 with the FSB running at 225? Arent they 800? And your chipset, what is the 250gb? I dont mean to be a jerk, but some things you say on there dont make sense. Or, are absolutely absurd. If those specs are correct, you are hella robbing your machine of SOOOOOOOO much power! You got some badass components in there, and from what I am reading they are horribly underclocked.
The FSB is not 800mhz. That would be an Intel. His FSB is default at 200mhz, same goes for the RAM. So he has them both at 225 mhz, which is actually fairly overclocked.
Those are the standard frequencies by the way. To come up with the final RAM frequency you multiply by 2 because it is DDR (meaning dual data rate) so 200mhz X 2 = 400mhz RAM. So for his it would be 225mhz X 2 = 450mhz. The final frequency of the CPU is achieved by multiplying the standard FSB 200mhz, or in his case 225mhz, by the CPU multiplier (in his case 9). So 200 X 9 = 1800mhz which is the default for 3000+. Since his is at 225mhz FSB (well actually for AMD this is better called HTT) it is 225 X 9 = 2025mhz total.

Actually, I have a socket 754, so stock is 2000 MHz. I stepped down the multiplier and cranked up the front speed bus to keep it roughly at 2 GHz. This leaves my speed the same, but helps my temps. Stock multiplier was 10. And even though the processor speed is the same, I still get a little boost (Yah RAM!).

And the 800 he was thinking about was the Hypertransport bus (Onboard memory controller). Mine runs just short of 900 MHz.

And the 250GB is just the motherboard designation. They have two, the nForce3 150GB and nForce3 250GB.

Also, underclocking my video card tonight... its overheating and I have plenty of FPS to spare.

FadingTheory said:
And the 800 he was thinking about was the Hypertransport bus (Onboard memory controller). Mine runs just short of 900 MHz.
Actually I think he made that mistake because he has an Intel. Otherwise he probably would have thought 1600mhz or 2000mhz hypertransport since that is what most athlon 64's have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom