Built new computer, no picture - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Built new computer, no picture

Hello all, this is my first post. I need some help. I just built my first computer. Everything seems to power up and come on but there is no picture on the monitor. The hard drive is spinning, all fans are on, lights are on, but no picture. There are a couple thing that I wasn't sure what to do with. Here are pictures of them. Thanks for any help or ideas.

This one comes from the power supply

There are 2 of these

Also want to make sure I have the hard drive set right. I removed the jumper from the pins. Did I read the diagram right? This is my only hard drive.

I also have these 2 cables, the top came with the motherboard and the bottom with the video card.

I am using an NVidea 5900XT video card. There is no onboard video on the motherboard. Thanks for the help!!

Jeff

Old 04-23-2004, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

you say you removed the jumper from the Hard Drive, this may be confusing the BIOS
other than that, it can be: something has not been connected properly or at all, the BIOS may be dead, the video card may not be seated properly, the video cable may be faulty or not plugged in correctly, or there is something wrong with the monitor or video card

Old 04-23-2004, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I removed the jumper because that's what it looked to me like the diagram was saying to do if it was the only drive. That's why I posted the pic of the diagram; to make sure I read it right. I pulled the video card and put it back it; unplugged the cable and redid them. Everything is brand new. Video card comes on, lights up, fans on it come on. Monitor isn't faulty. If the bios is dead, how do you fix it? Again, everything is new. hmmm
Old 04-23-2004, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

you'd have to replace the mobo which is a big hassle, do you have a warranty?
Old 04-23-2004, 11:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah, I just put it all together today so I can return anything I need to. I just wouldn't think anything would be broken from the beginning. And I hate to return something without knowing if that is the problem.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to ccohn2000

Does it beep when it starts up? Does the monitor get a signal? ( Meaning does the light on the monitor go from amber to green after you boot up? )If none of that happens, return the board. I actually had that problem last weekend and it was the MB. You did the right jumper setting on the HD. The other connectors are probably for things you don't have. The cables are for serial ATA, which you don't appear to have. One of the unplugged power connectors looks like your floppy drive. Did you put one of those in? Another, in that same pic looks like a loose USB connector. Those don't normally just lay around. What is the other end connected to?
Old 04-24-2004, 12:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

that is for a 7 in 1 memory card reader that I bought. It has 2 usbs on the front and you have to plug the cable into one of the usbs on the back of the case. the monitor light does not change colors and there is no beep. However, I don't a speaker hooked up to it.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to RyanOldw83

1x,2x,4x,or 8x agp slot? Same question for the card? Might have a 4x slot with a 8x card.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Both are 8x
Old 04-24-2004, 02:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

is this the speaker? i hooked it up to the speaker plug and get a VERY faint blip when I turn the computer on.

Closed Thread