Built my first dual core today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

senseless

Daemon Poster
Dual amd 248s are roughly 22000mips
Dual core amd 275s are roughly 41000mips

There is almost a 2x increase in performance w/ the dual cores..

I didn't build the machine till 15minutes before it was time to go home.. I'll post some pictures and accurate benchmarks tomorrow..

Wicked! :D

It'll be a while before PC games developers utilise dual-core CPU arcitecture, but it's a very cool thing to have in a PC for the first time nevertheless.

Dual cores are different than SLI and SMP.. It just works, you dont need to have special code.

senseless said:
Dual cores are different than SLI and SMP.. It just works, you dont need to have special code.
No, you don't need special code, but the programs have to be written to support it :p

How then would i be able to get that benchmark result when i was using a program that was created 4 years ago to benchmark? I'm using Sisoft Sandra.. And unless theres something that im missing there wouldnt have been dualcore support back in 2001..

edit:

is there some special dualcore lib or something? Even the image of the layout of the dualcore would suggest that there is nothing special needed for it to work..

If it supports dual processor it works with dual core I think.

HL2 can only use 2.4 GHZ out of a 4.8 GHZ Dual core AMD

DJ-CHRIS said:
If it supports dual processor it works with dual core I think.

HL2 can only use 2.4 GHZ out of a 4.8 GHZ Dual core AMD

Thats weird...

So windows treats it as if it were just a 4x SMP system? I noticed that the bios did say that it had 4x processors.. Windows saw it as only 2 procs but specified they were dualcores..

Edit:

i havent read much of anything about dualcores yet.. i was just stoked about the benchmark =)

no, windows only does 2 smp, it may be showing 4 processors, but when it comes right down to it, windows is currently limited to 2 processors period

in order to get an accurate idea of what it can do, your not going to be able to use windows unless you write your own benchmark app or use one that can do that setup

Im not sure how other OS's that are multi SMP capable will deal with dual core either, theoretically they should be business as usual, but im not positive thats the case

dunno, as far as I know windows is limited to 2 only, not sure what the webserver version can do, in that area most are running unix or linux anyway which can handle lots of processors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom