Builing a new computer (mobo/cpu help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent40

Baseband Member
Its been awhile since I got a new computer and this will be the first computer that I've built from scratch. Currently I'm working with a P3 866 MHz, with 384 Megs RAM, and a 32 Meg TNT2 Riva video card. I pretty much use my computer for business and gaming. I can't play Counter Strike: Source on my computer, which is the reason for a new one.

The following components have been pretty much set in stone:
Maxtor 7200 RPM 160 GB HDD (already purchased)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Creative Audigy 2
Thermaltake V6000A Damier Case
512 MB Ultra 400 MHz DDR RAM (x2)
Sony DRU540A / 12x4x12x DVD+RW / 8x4x12x DVD-RW / 40x24x40x CD-RW

Now I've have been having trouble deciding on the mobo/cpu. I have pretty much decided that I want a Intel P4 3.0E GHz Prescott (or is the Prescott not worth the few extra dollars?) but am having trouble deciding what mobo to pair with it. Been thinking along the lines of the "Intel D875PBZLK i875P P4 800FSB Skt478 DDR ATX Motherboard w/Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail (Prescott Ready)."

Also, is it worth getting another HDD (10000 RPM?) to run Windows and other programs and games off and use the larger one for storage?

Thanks for any advice.
Agent40

In my many years of computer building, I have found that ASUS motherboards are the best for me. They perform very well, their cost is reasonable, and their manuals cannot be beat. I've been using ASUS motherboards ever since the Pentium 100Mhz days & refuse to build a computer with anything else. It is true that I haven't used anything other than ASUS when it comes to building systems. But with dependable, great performing motherboards such as theirs, why would I try anything else?

Just FYI, I'm running an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard in my current system & have had no problems with it (except for my current DVD drive issue, but that is not caused by my motherboard). And no, I do not work for ASUS nor am I an authorized distributor for ASUS (not yet at least :) )

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom