Building myself a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattD4

Solid State Member
I've been long overdue for a new computer, for awhile not. Starting now, and through out this summer I want to begin building myself a computer. Over the past week, I've read nearly 50 articles regarding building computers and I have learned a substanchial amount, but not nearly enough that I feel comfortable actually digging right into the work. I've got not the will power or the money to damage expensive peices of hardware, that's why I come to you guys. The oldbies of the business/hobbie.

I do normal things with my computer, I browse the internet mainly, I listen to music and I also do school work with it. I don't play many games, but that might be an option down the road but for right now I'm not looking for a super good video card, the basics would do for that. Sound is an issue, I like loud music, so judge accordingly to that. I would like someone, to suggest what I should get for specs. in my computer anything from the case to the floppydrive. ;) (Not that it's important anyways)

For a starters:

Probably a AMD Athlon XP 2800+ or P4 2.8ghz, your choice.

A Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS, some super nice speakers.

An ATI 9200 Pro, or maybe a 9600 non-pro.....

2x256mb of DDR400

120gb 7200rpm 8mb cache HD

A nice case with atleast a 400 watt PSU...

There's a good start ;)

I just bought a nice P4 celeron on ebay for $188.00 shipped.

The MB, processor, case, and power supply included.

6 usb's, video and sound on the MB.

All you have to add is OS, Ram, HD, CD/RW, and floppy if you want to.

This is an easy project for a first timer since the CPU is already installed.

A simple ebay search for bare bones PC will lead you right to where I bought mine.

ap

Thanks for the help.

This is assume is all taking budget into consideration? I'm not an overly rich person, well not even close to having alot of money. I work hard for what I have, and right now I only got around 1k, but I don't want to spend it all on a computer I need some for gas, insurance (half of it anyways) and well normal stuff like the GF and food, stuff my parents won't pay for. So I only play on spending around 800 at the most for the computer, for the time being. I just want something I can get up and running smoothly, and much faster then this current peice of shit that I have.

Anyways, for the people who replyed to my post much thanks I really appriciated it.

Re: Thanks for the help.

MattD4 said:
This is assume is all taking budget into consideration? I'm not an overly rich person, well not even close to having alot of money. I work hard for what I have, and right now I only got around 1k, but I don't want to spend it all on a computer I need some for gas, insurance (half of it anyways) and well normal stuff like the GF and food, stuff my parents won't pay for. So I only play on spending around 800 at the most for the computer, for the time being. I just want something I can get up and running smoothly, and much faster then this current peice of shit that I have.

Anyways, for the people who replyed to my post much thanks I really appriciated it.

Well in that case....

I'd recommend a AMD Athlon XP 2500+($80 or so)

A cheapo, but nice mobo for $80 or so.......

A Creative labs Audigy 2 and Logitech Z-640 speakers($120-130 altogether)

Probably some cheapo Nvidia video card that is under $100

2x256mb of DDR333 for less than $120

An 80gb HD for $80 or so...

And you can probably get a nice case with 350 watt PSU for under $80;)

That should be a nice start for ya:)

P4 Celeron? NICE!!!

Man... I gotta get me one of those P4 Celeron processors.

Anywho... seeming as how you're into music, I would NOT suggest the Creative speakers.
Wouldn't suggest spending 80 bucks on a case either unless it case with at least a 450w power supply.

Here's what I'd suggest -

Case - http://www.atxcases.com/Cases/solidxp.htm w/ 450w psu and 2 fans, it's only 50 bucks (they have free shipping right now too, that's when you wanna buy).

MB - Gotta get the Kv7 Abit puts out. http://www.partspc.com/store/product1991.html
Listed for 66 bux

CPU - I like the AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton found here http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...ode=M&Product_Code=120728&Category_Code=amdxp for $75. IF you can, upgrade to the 2600 though for only a couple bucks more

Video - If you wanna stick with the Nvidia Video Card... here's a good one for 70 bux. GeForce FX 5200 256MB DDR 8x AGP TVO+DVI
http://www.buycyberpc.com/vicagaca.html
I personally like the ATI radeon Vcards lately because of driver issues I've seen ... but whatever you'd like.

Hard Drive - 80 gig is a great suggestion for a Maxtor - Hard EIDE 80.0GB 7200RPM ATA/133 2MB Buffer and for 55 bux here -
http://www.7bytes.com/spec.cgi?HDMXT8072D+pw

Sound Card - If you are truly serious about sound... get this card -http://store.compbus.us/compbus/sc-clxgameraudigi.html
CL - Audigy 2 ZS and it's on sale at this site for only 120 (great buy)

SPEAKERS - I'm not knocking the CL speakers mentioned earlier... but common... for serious speakers... go for the boston acoustics. I couldn't found a good link for them, but just look at the major electronics stores. If you have to... go with Altec Lansing speakers, but go big and spend a hundred bucks if you gotta.

MEMORY - I always suggest main stream memory in a system with good Cas Latency (Kingston, Corsair, Samsung, etc) Don't go cheap on the memory, you may regret it. Or just Make sure it has a CL of 2.5 at least
http://www.gameve.com/gve/store/productdetails.aspx?sku=MMN-KING-011
I've purchased from gameve before... good site. 96 bux for 512.

FLOPPY - If you can afford it, get a hundred dollar 750 MB zip drive... if not, just get a 10 buck 3.5 X 5 floppy

ROM - CDRW are so damn cheap now, how can you not buy one? Get a good one here for Mitsumi 54x32x54x - Internal EIDE/ATAPI CD-RW Drive
http://www.buycyberpc.com/cdrwdrives.html
30 bux

So... assuming you bought *****in speakers for around 100 bux... your total is 672. Assuming you bought decent speakers with a woofer for 40 or so, well your total's 612. Either way, that's well under your 800 dollar limit, and it's a *****in PC.

Have fun

Visit me at my site listed in my signature if you wanna run through some other scenarios

The system I built and referred to above can be done for under $400.00 not including the OS. (use the one you have)

P-4 celeron cpu, Motherboard, case, and power supply $188.00 shipped.

CD/RW $9.00 after rebate at officemax.

80GB HD $75.00 at bestbuy.

Modem $10.00 for a V92 at Offmax.

Change that last sentence to include the OS for under $400.v

Since were saving money here, buy your memory at office max with rebates, the 256mb DDR PC2100 is $9.99 after rebate, and sundays tribune had a $10 office max coupon so the stick was free.

caesar said:
The system I built and referred to above can be done for under $400.00 not including the OS. (use the one you have)

P-4 celeron cpu, Motherboard, case, and power supply $188.00 shipped.

CD/RW $9.00 after rebate at officemax.

80GB HD $75.00 at bestbuy.

Modem $10.00 for a V92 at Offmax.

Change that last sentence to include the OS for under $400.v

Since were saving money here, buy your memory at office max with rebates, the 256mb DDR PC2100 is $9.99 after rebate, and sundays tribune had a $10 office max coupon so the stick was free.

Thats a pretty run down system though:confused: :rolleyes:

don't ignore the case, i got a stupid case from dabs(it said it was on offer) and now i have to leave my case open sicne one of the processors overheats. and my 3.5 inch bay is cramped.

moan moan

for 800 bucks you can get a pretty good computer. plus if youre really not ready to build one yourself you could find one with some very decent specs for that price all ready built, but building is not really that hard just be patient with it, read up on it as much as you can and follow any instructions you have precisely. if you run into any problems along the way just post on here and someone will try and help you. just make sure when buying your hardware you put the money where it will be used best. for example youll probably spend more money on an audio card and some real good speakers than a video card, but make sure you leave yourself room to upgrade for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom