Building my first gaming PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
coconut2 said:
This is funny get this get that, this is better, no this is, umm wait no this one is, no this psu sucks,no that psu is ok, no it sucks..

Man this is his first build and your confusing the sh!t of him.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-144-089&depa=0
(My own opinion) I think this case is cool as hell. And I think the psu is fine. So diablo Im glad your happy with your 130$ psu. Beacuse my 70$ one kicks ass :)

you know wut? ur right, he's new and he should just get the aspire case and the psu that it comes with (the psu will work, but it's not the best)

btw, just as you said a lotta ppl will say get this get that; the aspire case is ok, but it's no where compared to thermaltake, lian li, or some of antec's cases

oh, and a thermaltake case + ocz modstream will be much better

Okay first off what parts of Canada you from, those prices look a bit on the expensive side :) I like ordering from ncix.com and tigerdirect.ca and I am in Canada too.

Ok issue #1, the video card. 6600 is an EXTREMELY scaled back 6600GT. Expisally in Canada where the 6600GT is only a few extra dollars, it's best to go all the way. Dont let the GT's 128meg of GDDR3 ram fool you, as this is not the only thing that makes a graphics card good.

Issue #2: Mobo, well Asus are buggy and you dont need to buy a full fledged SLI board. Get a DFI Lanparty Nforce 4 Ultra D if you want 1x PCI-E or SLI-DR version if you want 2. You can even mod the Ultra D with a pencil to accept 2 PCI-E 16 cards (or at least were able to)

Issue #3: You have spent a few more dollars, if you want to save money, downgrade the CPU, you can get a 3200+ and overclock it to 3800 \ 4000 speeds easily. In Canada whicnhester 3500+'s are too expensive and overclocking is cheaper.

Issue #4: Power supply, yeah it may be "500 watt" but those cheap power supply's that come with most cases are total crap, get a thermaltake TD-420AD that runs 50-60 dollars at the minimum, you dont trust your whole PC to a cheap power supply. I have had power supply's take out PC's before.

I have an X-Navigator and have been using the stock power supply for a year without a hitch. The only complaint I have is that my case is made out of steel and is so heavy you can bench press it.

dale5605 said:
Don't get the 3500+. Get the 3200+ and an x800 xl video card. This would be much more balanced and better overall.
Also, do you really need SLI? You're paying a lot of extra money just for an SLI motherboard.

btw here's the vid card:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-164-041&depa=1

It depends on how long he is planning on keeping his video card. If he wants a card that performs well right now with current games, and is the most budget friendly solution, the X800XL is the way to go. If he wants a card that he is going to keep for a while, will be able to run not only todays games but games of the future, than a 6600 GT or 6800 GT is essential.

An x800 xl will run future games as good as a 6600 gt or 6800 gt will. You are making a wasted argument. Nvidia's cards are no more future-proof than ATI's. PS3 doesn't do that to a card, you need to learn some things before you start talking.

Hey thanks for the help guys, unfourtunatly i cant order off of newegg caus eim in canada and DJ-Chris im in tornoto not to far from you. I think i will go with the GT card, i did not know if it was good cause it was only 128mb, also i might take your advice and drop it down to a 3200 but i dont know if i would be able to OC that to 4000 thats a huge leap.

Also i corsair ram ok for OCing? Cause i heard OZC is really good but i could not find any.

The RAM on that video card doesn't matter. Whether you stick it with 128 or 256 makes no difference because it can't even utlitize 256mb anyway. OCZ is one of the best for OC'ing but it's very expensive. I would get some cheaper PC4400 RAM or something so you don't have to worry about overclocking that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom