Building a computer, plans 95% finalized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oceanb0rn

Baseband Member
Well, I finally completed the agreement with my brother to sell him my computer. I'll be on the laptop for a while, but it's really forced me to accelerate my plans to build a computer. So, I'll post the specs here, let me know what you think. No AMD v. Intel or nVidia v. ATI please. Any other suggestions, fire away.

CPU: AMD AthlonXP 3500+
Video Card: eVGA GeForceFX 6800 GT 256MB 256bit + Doom 3
Motherboard: MSI Neo2 Platinum
RAM: 2x Corsair 1GB
Hard Disk Drive: WD Raptor SATA 74GB 10K RPM
Optical drive: NEC DVD+/-RW drive
Accessory: Memory card/USB2 reader

What I am still at a loss for is what case to get. I'm not sure what size PSU I should get, either.

I am open to any suggestions you may have for case/PSU or any other alternate parts for whatever's there, though I'm pretty set on the CPU and video card. :)

I would get 2x 512 MB sticks of RAM so you can use dual channel, but other than that, looks good. Nice choice on the vid card, I also got one and cant wait to use it on Christmas.

^^^ i have used that case before and its a steal for the price, but you are really going to need a bigger PSU to supply power to your 6800gt and other parts

@chog - Would 2x512 really perform better than 1x1024? The specs I posted are just to start with. I was thinking of starting with 2GB and adding another 2GB later. Would 4x512 be better than 4x1024? I don't fully understand DDR.

@ohGrFreak - Would 420 be enough? I was thinking 450 or 500, though I don't know much about PSUs. Err on the side of caution, the old saying goes.

What do you think about your graphics card? That's the Asus 9999, right? Maximum PC totally slammed that card, comparing it either to the top ATI or another 6800 based card. I won't hear about good ATI cards anyway, but I've seen the Asus 9999 on Newegg, and I usually avoid it. I like Asus enough; they make my current mobo and no problems so far.

As far as a case... I'd like tool-less if I can get it, it's a pain to always unscrew a case. Like if the sides snapped off or something. I don't care much about a clear window or a neat shape. I'd take a plain black box if it would save me money. It's more to perform than to show. No one I know IRL would care what it looks like, and pictures of lit up computers don't look that great showing online.

my card is the one that maximum pc slammed, i even have that issue. but, on the other hand, i had this card overclocked to beat most Ultras and i also unlocked the extra piplines to have the same as the GT and the Ultra. i am happy with this card, but i agree, it's not worth the money, just get a 6800GT, it'll be more worth it in the long run.

420 should make do until you get a better PSU, considering you don't push your comp that hard until then. I would reccomend an Antec 500W PSU.

I was going to build that computer a few months ago, when I got a loan for miscellaneous stuff... But it didn't happen... So now I'm looking at stretching my income tax return around some hardware at Newegg to throw together a decent rig.

The original plan was to use the income tax return to buy the case, mobo, CPU, and a stick of RAM, the next couple paychecks to buy the planned 6800GT, and the following paychecks to buy the Raptor HD and DVD burner. What's left of the paychecks after bills, that is... So I added it up...

Case: $159 (includes power supply)
Motherboard: $143 (includes sound, USB2, LAN)
CPU: $295
RAM: $59.99

That all comes to $656.99 - I can afford that with my tax return. I thought about my needs and figured I can put off getting a $400+ graphics card until later. I'm not THAT big on gaming, and I can add it later. So I found a decent card for $69.99.

Video card: $69.99

$726.98 is about $50 more than my tax return, but I have some money saved, not much, but it'll carry me a little farther than this. Time to look up that WD Raptor.

Hard disk: $179

That brings it to $905.98. That's pushing it, and I'm still without an optical drive, so hopefully the one I have works *just* long enough to install Windows; after that I can install everything from the external hard drive... The one I have is a 24X Plextor burner. It started making coasters, not all the time, but about half the time, so I switched it out. I'm pretty sure it will still read CDs fine. And the external hard drive is a 300GB USB2/1394 Maxtor beast of a drive with, among other things, archived programs. CDs not needed; any important stuff on CD gets archived to the external (obviously, PC games aren't included in this, but if I can find a no-CD crack, I'll use it).

I will later add a 16X DVD burner, probably the NEC or Lite-On, whatever Newegg has. Both are highly rated, both are always on sale in the low $60-$70 range. Additionally I'll add one of those media readers, so I could put my camera's memory card in directly. ;)

So it's still on! I'm going to be building my first rig. Wish me luck. ;)

For one of your questions, yes 2x 512mb would work better then a single 1024Gb stick of RAM. All socket 939 mobo's are made for dual channel memory. Dual channel memory works togather. But a single stick of RAM is left alone. Oh yeah that processor is called a AMD64 3500, not a athlon xp. Xp's are socket A. I wouldent even consider getting more then 2 GB of RAM. Your processor is fast, so 4GB of RAM wouldent make any difference. I cant see them getting filled up anytime. Its safe to say 2x 512mb would work just fine.

Their are alot better cases out there. So here is a few links so you can finalize

http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Stock Cases/se=CoolerMaster Towers/mp=menu_search.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Stock Cases/se=SilverStone/mp=menu_search.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Stock Cases/se=Thermaltake/mp=menu_search.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Stock Cases/se=Chenming::Chieftec/mp=menu_search.html

I see your point about the RAM. Now, what if I go 1x512 for now? As you said the single stick stands alone. Then say in a month I add another 512, so I have 2x512. Will they double up?

Yes, I meant Athlon64. I've made this mistake before. No, I'm going for the socket 939, 90nm Athlon64 3500+. Looks like that's what you have. ;)

Thanks for the case recommendations. I've never built a system before, but the case I linked has like 5-6 fans and a 500W PSU - those specs look really good. And it looks pretty. But I'm open to suggestions, so I'll look at those links. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom