DVD-ROM: IDE ATAPI
CD-RW: IDE ATAPI
Floppy:
Cooling: Arctic Silver 3,
Filtering:
Speakers:

please do fill in the blanks!

My specific questions would be...

What brand hard drive should I choose between Matrox, Maxtor, Western Digital, Barracuda, and Seagate? With memory, how many MHz should I at least get and PCxxxx? what do the terms DIMM, SODIMM, ECC, and CL all mean and what should I get? I'm getting Win2k, but just wondering which edition/version you recommend? For cooling should I go hydro or stick to the ole fans? I don't want anything too noisey or heavey. Also, I will be using lots of USB if that helps for the mobo. I'm looking for a 2.1 speaker system. Thanks!

ok, well, i cant fill in all of them but id go with:

Keyboard: dont knowe any good brands, but i am personally looking to get a good wireless keyboard, so i can still type away on this while i am studying and what not on the other side of the room. wireless mouse be nice too :D

id go with teh xpider case/psu, itsa nice case, vey easy to install uninstal everything, and well, its got a window :D lol

ugh, i was just getting into this so il make it wuick, my ride is leaveing

:
speakers, anything y altec lansing for a 2:1 is good, OS win2k Pro

sorry could not help more, i gotta go
Bai

Altec Lansing 221 50 watts 2.1 Speaker is alrite. Serves the purpose and good bass.

Panasonic FDD
PC3200 400Mhz DDR Dual Channel CL2.5

CL refers to the clock cycle. The lesser, the faster. ECC is error correction check, you wont need such dimms unless you running ur pc 24/7 nonstop and cant afford failures.

Asus AI boards are good for performance these days. You can check out the AMD mobos for the AI range. Im not familar with AMD, so can only recommend the mobo series.

HDD, for install freed of trouble, get Maxtor. For durability, get Hitachi IBM. For cheap, go Western Digital.

For ur mobo, skip the SATA RAID stuff, coz it just slow the boot process. Get one that has lotsa USB ports and IEEE1394 interface. Dun use RAID coz the RAID stuff on the mobo are software based. maybe just use ur RAID as an additional IDE port.

>What brand hard drive should I choose between Matrox, >Maxtor, Western Digital, Barracuda, and Seagate?

I use Maxtor almost exclusively, and have had problems only in extremely rare instances. Currently I am using 2 80g Maxtor Diamondmax 9+ Serial ATA drives (7200 rpm, 8Mg Cache).

>With memory, how many MHz should I at least get and PCxxxx? >what do the terms DIMM, SODIMM, ECC, and CL all mean and >what should I get?

If you are building a gaming system, go with PC3200. I would suggest Corsair XMS or Kingston Hyper X series. Both are very high quality ram manufacturers with lifetime warraties.

>I'm getting Win2k, but just wondering which edition/version you >recommend?

Win2k Pro or WinXP Pro, Definately.

>For cooling should I go hydro or stick to the ole fans? I don't >want anything too noisey or heavey.

If you don't want heavy, then you don't want hydro. Water cooling adds some serious weight to the system. As long as you have several fans for airflow you should be just fine. I have to front (intake), 1 side (intake) and 2 rear (exhaust), and my CPU runs at 39C/102F idle and 44C/111F under sustained load. (I think the F numbers are correct, but I know the C numbers are exact)

>Also, I will be using lots of USB if that helps for the mobo. I'm >looking for a 2.1 speaker system. Thanks!

Ok, in talking about the mobo, I gotta talk about the CPU. Do yourself a favor. Get the 2500+ rather than the 2800+. You save some cash and the 2500+ OCs easily to 3200+ with only a FSB change in bios and maybe a little higher core voltage. Mine runs rock solid. Now, with that being said. I would suggest Asus A7N8X series of boards. The Deluxe version has the most USB ports, but the entire series has several. In addition, Asus is probably the top manufacturer for AMD mobo solutions. The Deluxe version (and I think a few of the other configurations) have SATA connectors onboard with a built in Raid controller so you have that adapability for future upgrades.

If what top manufactures use makes any difference to you. Check out alienware.com. They use exactly the same mobo, and Ram that I have listed in my signature.

The keyboard. That's all personal preference. Go down to a local computer store like compusa or bestbuy and try out several. Get the one you like. The A7N8X deluxe comes with onboard sound that is Very nice. PSU - 400w minimum.

Have fun and good luck.
Alexander

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 192T-Silver or Black 19” LCD
Mouse: Logitech MX 310 Optical Mouse
Keyboard: Anything with keys
Case+Power Supply: Thermaltake Xaser 3 w/Thermaltake 420w PS
Motherboard: Asus A7N8X Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Videocard: ATi Radeon 9800Pro 128MB AGP
Soundcard: Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Hard Drive: Western Digital 80 gig Serial ATA, 7200 RPM, 8meg buffer
Back-up Hard Drive: Western Digital 80 gig Serial ATA, 7200 RPM, 8meg buffer
Memory: 2 sticks of Kingston 512MB DDR pc3200 (has to be samsung chips though if going with Kingston)
Floppy: go with a zip drive or ditch the floppy all together
Filtering:
Speakers:

maxtor - affordable and good quality.

400 mghz ddram - not that much expensive then lower ones.

I suggest u dont buy no software, its gonna kill you in price. Brrow it off a "friend" *winkwink*

and whoever said western digital was cheap, in canada thats the most espensive drive maker =p

and IBM is cheap, bu there quality is horrible, so much people bring back for there warrenty, thats same with fujitso, im getting 80 dollars back ^_^

Originally posted by Cosmic Fury:

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 192T-Silver or Black 19” LCD
Mouse: Logitech MX 310 Optical Mouse
Keyboard:LOgitech
Case+Power Supply: 400watt
Motherboard:MSI or Gigabyte
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Videocard: ATi Radeon 9800Pro 128MB AGP
Soundcard: Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Hard Drive: 80.0GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Buffer IDE ATAPI
Back-up Hard Drive: 80.0GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache Buffer IDE ATAPI
Memory: 2 sticks of Kingston 512MB DDR
Floppy: Mitsumi
Filtering:
Speakers: Harmon-Kardon HK-395

I have a logitech keyboard, works pretty good, a 400watt PSU should do the trick, I have an MSI mobo, but Gigabyte pretty good too, speakers are top notch, OS is only the best(besides Win2K).

spfd said:
maxtor - affordable and good quality.

400 mghz ddram - not that much expensive then lower ones.

I suggest u dont buy no software, its gonna kill you in price. Brrow it off a "friend" *winkwink*

and whoever said western digital was cheap, in canada thats the most espensive drive maker =p

and IBM is cheap, bu there quality is horrible, so much people bring back for there warrenty, thats same with fujitso, im getting 80 dollars back ^_^

Maxtor is getting a lot of crap lately for the recent quality of they're drives.

WD has been a steady, reliable brand and on the 8meg buffer versions you still get a 3 year warrenty.

So thats what I have as of yet...any recommendations or fill in the blanks? I'd like my CD/DVD-Rom to have a speed of 48xCD and 16xDVD...I need a floppy for school, so a cheap, yet good one would be worthy, preferbly in black, gray or silver. Also, my case will have case fans, but I was wondering if there are any other kinds of cooling units I'd need...The case I want has got to have a window on the left side(cd-rom facing you) with at least one fan on one of the sides of the case, airflow/fan in the front of the case, and 2-3+ fans on the back, anymore fans is a plus. Also, a long time ago, I was told that plextor makes some of the best CD-RWs, is this true? are there any competitions?

Monitor: NEC AccuSync LCD7V or NEC MultiSync LCD1760NX
Case+Power Supply&Fans:
Mouse: Logitech MX500 Optical
Keyboard: KeyTronic E03600QLPS2B-C @ KeyTronic.com
Motherboard: Asus A7N8X Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2700+ Thourobred @ newegg.com
Videocard: ATi Radeon 9600Pro 128MB AGP
Soundcard: Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy 2
Platinum ZS
Memory: 2 sticks of Kingston HyperX 512MB DDR400
PC3200 @ Kingston.com
Hard Drive: Maxtor Ultra Series 80.0GB 7200RPM
8MBCache
CD/DVD-Rom:
CD-RW: Plextor PlexWriter 48x/24x/48a EIDE ATAPI @ plextor.com
Cooling:
Floppy:
Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 @ klipsch.com

i wouldnt get pc3200 memory cause your proc only has a fsb of 266mhz (i think), so go with 266mhz memory, i forget what PCxxxx it is, unless you can get memory twice as fast like the new 533mhz ocz stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom