budget upgrading - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2004, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default budget upgrading

Dh is sitting here with a game or two he cant play. Mx Payne2 in one & sims 2 is on the way & I told him NOT to bring home doom3 & expect me to make it work LOL.
I'm looking to upgade my mobo,cpu, which I'm sure means memory as well. We'll also need a vid. card. I have been reading & reading the review sites tom's, anandtech. Now my head is spinning. It looks like if I want upgradeability the only way to go is Athlon 64. But athlon xp looks more like our budget. Can u help me get the most bang for a buck. Looking to spend $300 can push to $400. The more I look the more it all runs together. Help Please...... & thank you for your time!

What we have now PIII 1000mhz
mobo Asus cuw-am/mew-am
Chipset Intel Whitney i810E
onboard sound,vid., & lan
OS windows ME (did not like xp)
HD seagate 40g U series 5(has suited us for now may upgrade later)
Samsung DVD_ROM SD- 612B

Old 09-04-2004, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Demalii Send a message via AIM to Demalii Send a message via Yahoo to Demalii

Wow.. that's.. really a budget..

-AMD 2500+
-A peice of crap mobo =/
-Depends on how fast your ram is.. for 512 pc3200 you're looking up to 80 and over for anything "average" should go with the kingston hyperx series
-Cheapest/best video card that's even worth spending money on is the 9600xt which is about 150...

Old 09-04-2004, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Ok, I went on newegg and looked for stuff that would be within yer budget. Note that I've never messed around w/AMD so what I found for your processor and mobo may NOT be that best choice, you'll have to confirm it with someone. But I do know that for gaming AMD is the choice processor. The memory I chose is the exact same type I have and so far it works fine. I'm pretty sure that the following are quite compatible w/each other, but again check with someone whose like at least a "Super Techi" 9which I am not." Anyways:

Mobo - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...170-112&depa=1 $84.00

Cpu - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-377&depa=1 $135.00

Mem - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...141-413&depa=1 $87.00

Vid - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...164-022&depa=1 $79.00

Total: $385.00
Old 09-04-2004, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

You must note that with the 333Mhz FSB on that CPU its kind of worthless to buy PC3200 DDR when it will only run at 2700, unless you overclock
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
Intel Core i7 2600k
16GB DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws
1TB 7200 Segagte Drive
eVGA GeForce 570
Samsung Blu-Ray Drive
Antec 850 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Professional
Old 09-04-2004, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you I appreciate you take the time to help me out. At least now I know its possible. And a BIG thank you for the links.
Closed Thread