Budget card battle: 6600GT VS. X800 XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
No the x800 xl beats the 6600 gt by a good margin. It isn't even very much behind the 6800 gt. And I have seen the x800 xl on newegg for $290. Other places cheaper than that.
Of course it is far better than the x800 pro. And actually it has a very good price performance ratio so I don't know what you're talking about there.
Obviously the x800 pro looks like crap compared to this card since ati effectively made this card more powerful than the x800 pro but over $100 cheaper.

So don't hate ATI because you bought a bad card. Like I always say "Any pro knows not to buy an ATI pro card."

No the x800 xl beats the 6600 gt by a good margin
Are you talking to me? Because I never argued that it didn't.

If you wanted to get crazy technical on price/performance you'd have to take the dollar amount by the FPS you get with the same settings by both cards and see how many dollars or cents you paid for each Frame per second :D Let us know when you got that chart up and ready for debate ;)

The X800 Pro looks like crap? No, the X800 Pro IS crap! The X800XL may be better, but ATI stole $400 from my fingers with the fraud X800 Pro, I will never buy another product from them.

Wierd, the the $300 X800XL beats the $200 6600GT (barely), while the $200 6600GT craps on the $400 X800 Pro. ATI is really horrible this generation, especially with price/performance ratio. I wouldn't recommend going with any of the Radeon X series.
Barely?

Did you not look at the benchmarks? The only one where the 6600GT comes close to competition to it is in Doom 3 at high settings at 1600x1200.

Now, that being said, the 6600GT is an 8 pipeline card, and the x800XL is a 16 pipeline card, so the two cannot be compared. The same can be said for those who want to compare the x800 Pro to the 6800GT.

Basically...

6600GT = 9800 Pro/x700
6800 = x800XL
x800 Pro = N/A
x800XT = 6800GT
x850XT = 6800 Ultra (debatable)

Those, in my opinion, are the best comparisons you can make. Don't go blabbing about price or release date, I'm simply looking at cold, hard specifications.

Now in your case, the x800XL is my favourite card on the market right now. For a 16 pipeline card, the price is unbelievable. At the same time, for it's price, the 6600GT is a superb card. This can be summarized into the following:

6600GT - Borderline gaming card, good for those who want an affordable solution.

x800XL - a good midway solution between the midrange new generation cards and high new generation cards.

I admit, the X800XL beats the 6600GT, however, it doesn't beat it by as much as I would think it would except in HL2 for having double the pipes.

Well considering the fact that it triples the performance of the 6600GT, I think that's pretty damn good for only double the pipelines mate. :D

6600GT is the best budget gamer card though, no debate.

ATI didn't steal any money from you, you could have looked at the benchmarks or shopped around a little bit before your purchase and you would have known exactly what you were getting. That doesn't mean you should never get another ATI product again. I mean you're basically saying that just because you didn't do a little research and bought a card that wasn't up to spec that even if ATI comes out with a cheaper better card than NVIDIA you still wouldn't consider it.

I may be an Intel and ATI fan but I am building a computer with an AMD processor in it. It doesn't pay to just take one side, you should always look at the pros and cons and consider alternatives, which I'm not too sure you did for your x800 pro purchase.

I would probably buy a nvidia except I don't play any openGL games, that's really the only reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom