Broken Pin on Hard Drive. Is there a fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnR

Beta member
Topic headline says it all. I have a broken pin on one of my hard drives. Is there anyway to fix it?

i would say you are out of luck. how did it break? they usually bend and would take a lot of wriggling to break them. your disk is now un-usable.

Didn't someone recommend a cut piece of paper clip for a similar question about their monitor? Not sure if it will work though.

*Liability Agreement*

BlindApex is hereby excempt from all damages encumbered through the idiocity of following his ideas. The person foolhardy enough to try this stunt assumes all risk of injury to both self and computer.

P.S. If this works, PM me, as donations are gladly accepted.:D

Actually, lots of the older drives had 5yr or warranties on them.. check into it... you may hafta get a larger drive for free..

Sounds like a done deal. Hopefully ya didn't have alot of important info on it.

But RMA does not cover phyiscal damage.

It that was a hard drive is sold you, i would give it back as say "Nope, Phyiscal Damage, No Warranty"

How ever, this does not stop you from trying to send it to the manufacture for RMA. Get them on a friday afternoon or monday morning.

Well MicroBell's idea is workable.
What you can do is just check the continuty of the lead that comes out to the pin on PCB.and desolder the remaining portion. Now put a thin lead, you can use one resistor lead pass it trhough the hole and solder it on the pcb.
Give it a shot. Beware check the thickness of the lead. Not too thin and not too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom