Brining Computer from USA to Ireland, what should do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d1no311

Beta member
I built my gaming PC, parts aren't necessarily important to my question, so I'm not gunna go there right now, unless someone needs to know to help me out. I'm gunna be in Ireland for over 5 weeks, and I know they have US to European converters, but i also know that these can burn out, completely ruining the electrical device attached, and i obviously don't want to risk this with my computer. Is there any way i can use my computer in Ireland without worrying about converters catching on fire, or any other problems that might occur? Is there a European power supply that i can just simply replace my current one for, and plug it into the components, use it over there, and just pop my US one back in when i get home? If anyone knows anyway how i can get this to work without the possibility of damaging my PC, please let me know, thanks a lot.

PS, not a new poster to the forum, just cant remember my old password lol.

I personnaly wouloden't cause the amperage(Amp level) is different in europe than in the US so even if you convert it...it might not work cause the power might given to your computer will either be slightly higher or lower than needed wich posses a risk

I personnaly wouloden't cause the amperage(Amp level) is different in europe than in the US so even if you convert it...it might not work cause the power might given to your computer will either be slightly higher or lower than needed wich posses a risk

what? current is proportional to voltage and the resistance of the load. it's simple. you need a socket adapter and to switch your PSU to 240v. badda-bing-badda-boom you're done.

220 v + xbox = smoke -> some asian guy fixes it (im asian so no worries) lesson learned, be careful with electronics in other countries

that's different though. the xbox power supply is manufactured for the country it is sold in. the same is true for many electrical appliances. however virtually all (though i have seen some exceptions) computer power supplies have a switch to change between 110 and 220-240v. it is very important for obvious reasons that if the device can't be switched between these voltage modes for the country you are travelling to that you get a special power adapter with a "step-up" or "step-down" transformer to change the voltage.

Some PSU's have a switch like this:
psuswitch.jpg

which you can use to change it from 110V input to 230V input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom