Breakthrough in 802.11n high-speed wireless networking standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
True, this is about a networking standard, but it is a developing hardware as well.

From Tom's Networking:
Wireless News: Breakthough 11n technology announced, TGn Sync, WWiSE disband

The rival factions battling for control of the upcoming 802.11n high-speed wireless networking standard today announced a new technology backed by both groups and the dissolution of their organizations.

The new technology has been dubbed "NoMoA" (No More Antennas) and is seen a removing a key obstacle that prevented agreement on a draft 802.11n standard earlier this month.

The breakthrough technique completely removes the need for antennas and radios, replacing them with subsonic transducers that are directly coupled to any nearby surface. The extra low frequencies employed extend communication range "a million, jillion times" according to Slung Lo, a product line manager at Atheros, a former member of the now-defunct TGn Sync industry group. He said, "This will really make our customers happy, since they'll be able to put a really big number on the front of their product boxes!"

The entire article is available here:
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/News_story_1024.php

The extra low frequencies employed extend communication range "a million, jillion times"
lol nice scientific number. Yeah my dad hates wireless, he got a wireless modem and the thing was always low signal or none at all, his is 802.11b, my moms is 802.11g, but still man it was absolute crap and this is freakin 5 feet away

Sure would be nice to have an improvement like they are talking about

EDIT: Nah it's not the wrong forum diablo, it's in regards to the HARDWARE that will be used to create the signal ;) as wireless networking in itself is not new, that's not what this is about, like trotter said

I know it is a network standard, but it will soon become computer hardware. Plus, I wanted people to actually see this. Only a few of us wander into the Networking Forum.

The article is only a little over twice what I copied.

Basically, the standard will be close to ELF as used by submarines (Extremely Low Frquency).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom