BOXED, OEM, RETAIL, etc? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Question BOXED, OEM, RETAIL, etc?

I see "BOXDsuchandsuch" computer parts on wholesale dealers' web sites like new egg. What does "BOXED" mean? Is that the same as retail with manuals, drivers, cables, etc? As opposed to bare bones OEM?

Old 01-04-2007, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

Retail = You know, a box, with contents, sealed from the manufacturer, sold to Best Buy or another similar store.

OEM = You get only what you need without a box. OEM monitor would be just the monitor, no cords or cables. OEM software is just the disc, no manuals.

BOXED = Never heard of that, but I'm guessing it's been refurbished and re-packaged.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

OEM products generally have a lesser warrenty (or no warrenty at all in some rare cases).
AMD 64 X2 4200+ @ 2.2ghz
2048mb Corsair PC3200 RAM (2x1gb)
WinFast NF4SK8AA Motherboard
660GB HDD Capacity (3xHDD)
600w Enermax PSU
eVga 8800 GTS 320mb
Old 01-06-2007, 03:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

BOXED means packaged by the seller. I think. For example, if you buy a home theatre system and it has a Yamaha amp and Panasonic speakers, it's boxed. So basically it means it's a combination of things put together and sold as a package by the seller.

I am not 100% positive about this.
System Specs
Opteron 165 cooled by Zalman 9500A LED // DFI Lanparty UT NF4-D // Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-GB Hard Drive // Sapphire X1950XT 256MB cooled by Zalman VF900 Cu LED // 2x1GB OCZ EL Plantinum // Enermax NoiseTaker 430W // Pioneer DVD & Combo Optical Drive // 20" Samsung 206BW Monitor // Logitech Z-2300 Speakers // Logitech G11 Keyboard and Microsoft Sidewinder mouse // Antec Nine Hundred Case
Old 01-06-2007, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to Oreo

I get my operating system OEM. Especially as i can get windows vista premium in OEM for £70... Authentic DVD and License Key, so basically if you were to get the retail the Extra £100 you would pay would be for the Box.

The OEM Software are usually the kind as shipped with Dell PC's ect ect were no box is supplied so its cheaper for the company.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

I know that boxed computer hardware like harddrives include SATA cables and such, stuff that usually comes with your motherboard. Basically what I'd say is boxed computer parts come with additional material that is necessary but not always needed.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

I also have a question regarding this.

Say you buy something like an OEM motherboard. I understand that it will only be the cords or anything, but they still provide a box, right?

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Old 01-07-2007, 01:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Do not Stare at my Avatar
Send a message via MSN to Ste

Originally posted by CrazeD
I also have a question regarding this.

Say you buy something like an OEM motherboard. I understand that it will only be the cords or anything, but they still provide a box, right?
Ehh that depends.
Sometimes something says OEM, but its rly a bundled item. Which means it comes with one other thing. This most often applies to CD/DVD RW drives and the bundled item is the driver/burning program. (Disc)

But, for the most part OEM means just the item in an anti static bag/container.
So yea, if you find an OEM motherboard its a good bet that nothing comes with it and its in an antistatic bag. But it could also come with the Driver CD.

But Ive also gotten Bundled items with the screws and cables within the anti static Bag, and also gotten items that Say OEM but provide screws and sometimes (Like stated above) a Driver/program disk.

Closed Thread