Bootup Problems / Restarting / Freezing - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2004, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Bootup Problems / Restarting / Freezing

I'm having some pretty serious problems with my computer I built. Sometimes (about half the time) when I boot up, I get nothing. On a normal bootup the computer beeps, but I don't get that. The monitor doesn't become active, but instead goes into power saver mode. I don't hear the hard drive or the processor going. The only thing that happens is that my LED's and fans go on. Otherwise, I wouldn't know the computer was on.

My next problem - Sometimes I get random restarts. Occaisonally they happen while Windows XP is booting; occaisonally they happen during regular use. I find it interesting that sometimes I have left my computer on for days without use, but whenever I come back it hasn't restarted. It's only when I'm using it.

Third, and least frequently of them all, sometimes I get freezes. I don't think there's any details I can give about this one, except this also happens during use, but not during bootup.

Most people will jump to the conclusion that my power supply doesn't have enough watts/amps, so I'll list it right here for you:

12V: 25 A
5V: 30 A
3.3V: 28 A

What else could it be? Am I going to have to assume that my power supply is bad, and go buy a new one?

Old 05-28-2004, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

I would begin by eliminating things that could be wrong. First thing to do is run a memory test. You can find one at:

No I am not a big fan of Microsoft but they do have a great utility. If the memory checks out ok then start looking at power supply.

When did this start happening?

Crucial Performance Lab
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
When responding please provide your full system specs; hardware and software, OS, BIOS, drivers Etc. You can e-mailmemory related questions to
Old 05-28-2004, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It passed all six of the memory tests. Any other tests I can run that will knock some hardware off the possible problem list?

It's been happening ever since I built the computer. The weird thing is that it comes in waves. Some days, you'd think there was no problem. Then there's some days like today. I tried to turn it on three times, wouldn't boot. Finally it booted, and restarted during XP loading. Then I got into XP, and it froze. Then three more times I tried to boot it up, and it just hung there. Finally, I got it to work.
Closed Thread