Booting Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

frapped

Solid State Member
I stopped using my computer for several months and when I try to boot it again, I see the Asus logo and it pauses and says to press tab to show the POST or DEL to enter setup. If I try to enter setup, it will show "Entering Setup..." and the Num, Caps, and Scroll Lock LEDs light up twice and nothing else happens. If I press Tab it goes to the POST screen and starts checking memory, with the option to skip via the Esc key or Alt+F2 to enter POST flash utility. If I skip the mem test, Plug and Play initializes and then nothing else happens. Basically nothing works. Can anyone help me?

reseat the memory and maybe the processor, if that doesn't work then just use 1 stick of mem (if using 2) see if it works. swap with the other to make sure it is bad. you also may want to try reseting the bios. look for a jumper on the MBD (recover or something like that, check the manual). put the jumper to the correct pins. itll say something to the effect of bios not properly configed or recover or some crap. turn it off, put jumper in normal mode (back to original position), boot back up and set the bios as needed. you can also try pulling the battery of the MBD but Iwould do the jumpers as the battery sometimes doesn't work.

It sure does sound like the motherboad battery is dead. I've never seen it happen before though.

Fragino said:
It sure does sound like the motherboad battery is dead. I've never seen it happen before though.

Fragino,

If the motherboard battery were dead, you wouldn't have trouble at the POST level. The worst that would happen is your system clock would keep reseting itself to some wierd year like 1980 or something. The system battery is really there to keep the system clock running while the PC is powered off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom