boot problems with wirelss mouse/keyboard... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default boot problems with wirelss mouse/keyboard...

so i am setting up my old system with some new parts, ie. wireless internet w/ usb adapter, wireless mouse/keyboard, etc.

it's an older p3 system, but it's never had an issues booting until today. i just get stuck on that Dell "earth" startup screen if you know which one i am talking about.

i thought it had something to do with not having a mouse or keyboard attached, so i shut down, attached ps2 mouse and keyboard and it booted up.

i succesfully intalled my wireless mouse and keyboard (usb) and then tried to restart it, but i got stuck on the same screen.

okay, i thought, i guess i need the ps2 stuff connected for it to boot, so i reconnected thinking i'd have to do that until i figured out the problem, but now it won't boot at all!

what's going on? is having a mouse/keyboard connected even a requirement to boot up or was that a coincidence?

Old 07-18-2005, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
AKA ComatoseClown
Send a message via AIM to H4x3r Send a message via MSN to H4x3r

no u dont have to have a mouse or keyboard to boot...i've done it a few times without them just to test some junk before...also did you install somthing right before this started happening? could be a conflict with somthing....

Old 07-18-2005, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

the problem now seems to be unrelated to the keyboard mouse. which makes sense seeing as how that shouldn't affect it.

i just have an intermittent boot problem. sometimes it boots, sometimes it doesn't. it seems more likely to boot when i do something to kind of stimulate the system, for lack of a better term. for example if i open the cd drive and close it right after i hit the reset button, it seems to boot. weird...

any ideas?
Closed Thread