Boot Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
This is actually somewhat of a follow-up post to another problem I had, but my two basic problems are this:

One: When I give power to the PC everythign comes on. This is WITHOUT pushing the power button or even having the power switch wire connected to the MOBO. (This mobo does NOT have a on/off button on the board itself)

Two: No video. Just a long beef, brief pause, long beep etc.

Motherboard: ASUS p4T05
BIOS: Award

Any help with these two problems may help me to figure out how to get this PC to post. If not, the mobo is getting crushed with a large hammer in 24 hours. =)

check manual for beep codes...1 long beep....isn't that processor? Not sure... ...motherboards aren't supposed to have a power switch on them..you connect the front panel PW 2 wire pin to the mobo for power so I'm not sure what you're talking about unless you're power button is completely gone or someone ripped out the wiring from it......

The beep code is where your answer lays......funny how we were just speaking of ASUS being crappy in another thread.

BTW if you don't have a manual then obviously check the manufacturer website...or BIOS references or things of that nature.

Thanks, Nubius. According to my downloaded manual, that beep code refers to Video. I tried three vid cards, no luck.

I have a PC with an ABIT Mobo and it has an on/off and reset switch on the board. Pretty handy for people that may run their PC out of the case, I'm not up enough on hardware to know if this is common.

I think I'm just gonna chuck the thing in the trash. I'm sure I can buy some old used MOBO for $20 or something.

Doubt anyone will still be checking this, but all I did was clear the CMOS battery and the PC turns on just by giving it power. Why would this happen? Just seems like this should be a sign of something.

That is usually a sign of one of two parts failing. It could be either the power supply or the motherboard. Obviously you want to try the easier of the two and throw a new power supply in it. If it stops than easy as that if not something is up with your board. As for the video most of the time has to deal with that damn on-board AGP setting that will prevent the AGP slot from being the master.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom