On board Lan Is Shot, PCI card to bypass???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnewt427

Baseband Member
My onboard Lan Realtek is not working anymore, I have been on the phone with tech support to find out that it is bad, but the motherboard is out of warrenty, can I buy an aftermarket PCI network card to bypass the one integrated on the motherboard??. Thanks for all who reply.

Yes you can. All you would have to do is go into your BIOS and disable the onboard ethernet port(LAN). Plug in your new PCI LAN card, install your drivers and all should be well.

Spartan 1394 said:
Yes you can. All you would have to do is go into your BIOS and disable the onboard ethernet port(LAN). Plug in your new PCI LAN card, install your drivers and all should be well.

just curious....you only have to do that if your going to use the top pci slot??
i thought i read in a motherboard manual i had it said that it used resources from the top card or something...could of had just been the board though...it wasn' the best.

just curious....you only have to do that if your going to use the top pci slot??
i thought i read in a motherboard manual i had it said that it used resources from the top card or something...could of had just been the board though...it wasn' the best.
Hmm, I've never heard that before. Could be true, but I would imagine that would be a weird board(like you said). The only thing I could think of is something would end up having the same IRQ as something else and cause conflicts. But as long as you disable the old LAN port it should be fine. Most Modern BIOS's automatically assign IRQ's anyway.

Spartan 1394 said:
Hmm, I've never heard that before. Could be true, but I would imagine that would be a weird board(like you said). The only thing I could think of is something would end up having the same IRQ as something else and cause conflicts. But as long as you disable the old LAN port it should be fine. Most Modern BIOS's automatically assing IRQ's anyway.

ya, it was a ECS motherboad for a duron. i'm sure they did that to cut some corners while designing it.
i never did try though to see what would happen....my dad's usin' it now so i don't feel like screwin' anything up lol.

MichaelStanding said:
IRQ's wont worry the PC cause the gigabytes will find a way to get to the LAN tracking system anyway. I would be more worried about the BIOS getting a virus from dos.
All hail the king of computer knowledge :rolleyes:

MichaelStanding said:
IRQ's wont worry the PC cause the gigabytes will find a way to get to the LAN tracking system anyway. I would be more worried about the BIOS getting a virus from dos.

Could you possably explain that? IRQ's are ASSIGNED and NOT CHANGED. They are the same values on P3 boards and farther back I believe.

And how would a BIOS get a virus from DOS? Please explain, because this doesn't make any sense.

And FYI, My father owns a Gigabyte P4 Titan ATX board and he has a lan card in second to last (second to furthest from agp slot) pci slot. So I doubt you will have any sort of problem at all.

Spartan 1394 said:

This would be the correct approach :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom