Blurry Text-Antialiasing-Techies Only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

forlorn_ronin

In Runtime
Hey guys, need some help. Just installed an older card (might be my real problem), and I am having trouble with blurry text. The text blurring is actually the card trying to blur pixels into each other. A smoothing feature of the video card called Antialiasing. I also found after researching that this is quite common. What is not common about my problem is that even after turning this Antialiasing feature off through the cards setting, I continue to have blurry text. I am quite upset with this. Is there any advice that anyone can give me or anyone out there that can help? My specs are the following:

Intel Celeron Northwood 2.4Ghz
512MB ram
LCD Display (Have adjusted all the values I can Not LCD related)
Apollo Nvidia Gforce FX5500 256MB AGP.

Things I have tried:
1> changing settings in all features of my lcd display.
2> tinkering with Nvidias vid card tools.
3> updating driver.

After doing all of this I am still having big problems with very annoying blurry text. Could it be that if I bought a newer card that this problem would go away? Would it be the same with any vid card? If a new card would solve the problem then what would you suggest with my above specs. Looking forward to hearing from all of you. Thanks for the help in advance.

~Ronin~

You could try using TrueType to fix it. Do a search on T-F for a link.

Well DJ my first inclination is to think that it is in fact that the card may be too old to be able to truly give me clear text. Is this possible? If not then it might be a broken card. Have you guys ever heard of this before?

Switch yes my LCD monitor is a Hyundai L90D+ and it is at its native resolution of 1024 x 768. In fact switching to other resolutions is just as blurry. This was not a problem when I originally had the card in and hooked up the dvi port without installing the drivers. Text was fine. However graphics driver was not loaded. Looks like I can't have the best of both worlds with this card. So in response to the LCD I know it to be fine. Now here's the weird thing when trying to uninstall the nvidia drivers to get back to the regular windows display drivers it didn't change my text back to being crisp in clear. It doesn;t matter much seeing as how I want this card to have both great graphics and CLEAR text. Is this normal with all graphic cards?

Trotter I will try that tonight. Hopefully it will help. Good to hear from you again my friend. I hope all is well in your world. Well I'll check in on this post later tonight.

~Ronin~

Also, can I buy the same card, pull out the current possibly defective card, and then put in the new card? Remember the card I am replacing it with is the exact same specs. Would this be a good thing to do to test the issue of the blurry text? In theory by putting this new card in the text issue should resolve itself if in fact the current card is a defective card. COmment on this along with the text above.

And is there a place to test the pixel (overall) quality of my lcd screen? I don't think it is the LCD but it wouldn't hurt to test it.

~Ronin~

I didn't find the policy of Hyundai, but I have several others.

Acer: No more than four defective pixels per million on a given display.

Apple: Conforms to ISO 13406 standard for pixel anomalies (I guess Google could clear up what that means).

BenQ: Five defective pixels or one defective pixel in the center of a 3x3 grid.

Dell: Six fixed pixels or "several fixed pixels in a small area of the screen."

HP: Three bright subpixel defects, five dark subpixel defects, five total subpixel defects, or 0 full pixel defects.

LG: Two defective pixels in any quadrant of a 2x2 grid.

NEC/Mitsubishi: Varies according to display size.

Samsung: 0 defective pixels.

Sony: Conforms to ISO 13406 standard for pixel anomalies (see above).

ViewSonic: Seven defective pixels.
CPU Magazine, May 2005 issue, page 20 (comments my own)

If you're just wanting to test your monitor to be sure it is working properly, follow this link. It goes to a page of monitor test downloads:
http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_monitor.html

Hopefully some of this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom