Blank monitor after OS startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

zig2217

Solid State Member
I am a computer lab manager for a public access lab for Louisiana State University. I have used this computer/monitor combo before and everything worked fine, but recently the monitor seems to be acting up. When I boot up the computer, the monitor shows the normal startup display (the system start up, setup options if prompted to do so, and the OS startup), but when the OS is fully finished loading, the screen goes blank and stays black. Could this be the video card? Any suggestions will help. It is a Dell OptiPlex GX110, and an IBM monitor that is very old. Any more specs can be given if yall need them. i just dont know them off hand. Thanks.

Did you happen to change the resolution, refresh rate or update the driver recently?

Try booting in safe mode and setting it back to something smaller like 800x600 w/ 60Hz refresh.

To get into safemode, hold F8 while booting, then select safe mode from the list.

Yes, it sounds like maybe your refresh rate is too high for that monitor. Like bla said, safe mode and change it.

well, i tried booting in safe mode to change the refresh rate, and it only gave me one option to set the frequency to: the manufacturer's default settings. this monitor is very old, so this is not surprising.

a new development has happened though. now it boots up and successfully loads the OS. yet when it goes into standby mode (in which case the monitor temporarily shuts off), and i attempt to bring it out of standby more, the hard drive seems to come back on, but the monitor remains black.

Standby mode is the most flaky thing in the world. I have prolly only see it actually work 5% of the time. The computer always tends to crash wehn trying to wake it up. My experience, anyway.

Since it is an old monitor, you prolly cannot change the refresh rate at all. Or if you can, you need a driver for it to. Stupid thing, monitor drivers. But they existed back in the day. Monitors now for the most part are plug and play. Back then, they were plug and pray.

Edges of the image are curved

I bought IBM Monitor Model : 2237-00N A,
Serial Number: 23-DPGHT,
Manufacturing Date: Mar/1999,
FCC ID: A3KM086,UL ITE64E9,E118405.
Problem: Edges of the image are curved

Tried by adjusting the geometry,no success.Any help/suggestions pls.

Have u downloaded anything over the web?

Or, have u tampered with any of the files? I once got the same thing when I tampered with the windows system files names.

It's obviously not ur screen i guess , since u got a new one. If u can remove the hard disk and plug it into another pc as a slave u can tell if its ur hardware or whatever. U can also back up ur files on another harddisk that way in case anything happens.

Later.

Plugging to other is same,no improvement

I did'nt temper any file.I checked by plugging the same monitor to another CPU,it's same as before,I have 3 more monitors whose performance is good on any CPU.

When you reboot the puter after OS load failure (if it's xp) does it then tell you that windows failed to load properly and give you the option to go to safe moad or to the last good working configuation? If it does that then you have a significant hardware conflict. If not, does it just reboot and hit the same os load failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom