Blank Comp, Missing CD ROM drive, Help needed please - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 05:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Blank Comp, Missing CD ROM drive, Help needed please

Hey all. The other night my computer was diminished down to its A: drive (floppy) and my partitions were destroyed (It was running Windows 98 Upgrade). I managed to put MS DOS 6.0 on it and create a new partition. so now I have a blank computer, it's got a brand new, clean C: Partition. But my CD ROM drive D: is missing. It's not recoqnised so I cannot boot with it in order to put an OS back on the computer. It's not the original CD driver that the computer (Gateway 2000) came with. It's a NERO driver and I still have the NERO CD. Is there any way I can get it back with just a partition and my floppy drive with MS DOS ? I'd appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-2005, 07:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

have you tried using a 98 boot disk and booting into command prompt with cd support. try it and see if you can install from there. try running auto-detect from the bios setup. check the ide cable. did this just happen randomly or where you trying something and had it all go wrong?

Old 07-24-2005, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by nitestick
have you tried using a 98 boot disk and booting into command prompt with cd support. try it and see if you can install from there. try running auto-detect from the bios setup. check the ide cable. did this just happen randomly or where you trying something and had it all go wrong?
I don't have a boot disk. period. When I put a CD in, it says boot error because it's not there. And I had it happen when I was trying something and it went all wrong. Basically, my CD ROM drive's not there. I can't use it for anything right now. Because it won't recoqnize anything. Thanks though.
Closed Thread