Blank CD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
Do blank, unwritten CD's degrade, or loose quality over time? Reason I ask is because I had a pack of Phillips 48x 80min CD's that I bought 2 or 3 years ago at some sale, that I used to create some audio CD's. Well, when I popped the CD in to play the first few tracks would play fine, and then I would hit 6 or 7 and the speakers would begin to produce this loud cracking noise, and the CD itself would sometimes not even play. This was on a CD I took fresh out of the burner. I did this with several of the CDs from the same pack, and got the same results. I also tried it in different players and got the same thing. So I went and bought a new pack of TDK blank CDs the other day, and I made a fresh CD today, and it works perfectly.

I've heard that some companies are seeing the same results. They are starting to stamp them with 25 year guarantees.
I would say that they could be going dead on you, I bought cheappy CompUSA brand CD-R's back in '01 and they started dying on me a few years later.
Older CD-R's quality just isn't up to par with todays standards.

High quality CD's will last for 100 years. Who knows about cheap ones. I've been hearing that the next generation (for HD video) may be scratch proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom