Blah...Hard Drive not recognized? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2005, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Question Blah...Hard Drive not recognized?

Ok, my new order just came in and a SeaGate Barracuda 120GB was part of it. First time I turned on, it wasn't recognized at all by the BIOS, and I saw that the power cord had come loose, so I plugged it back in. Turned on a second time, recognized by BIOS. But, when I went to "My Computer", all I saw was my 80GB WD, but not the seagate. I went to the control panel and it was listed. I turned it off, and reset the jumpers:

Master = ON/Slave= OFF
Cable Select
Limit space to 32GB

At first, it was set to "Cable Select", and was recognized by the bios but not my computer, I then set it to "Master ON Slave OFF", and it wasn't recognized by the BIOS. I set it back to "Cable Select", and it was fine in the BIOS but not in My Computer. I'm prolly gonna feel really stupid asking this, but is it even suppose to be seen under my computer? What I'm trying to do is transfer all the data from my 80GB to the 120GB to give my parents the 80GB for the comp I'm building them. If it's not suppose to be seen under my computer, then I have no clue where to find it and activate it or whatever. What am/should I do to "fix" this hard drive problem?

Old 05-16-2005, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Grinch

Format it....

Old 05-16-2005, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to MrBebop26 Send a message via Yahoo to MrBebop26

What he said.

Old 05-16-2005, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Pentium 4 630 (3.0ghz)
1 gb PNY DDR2700
ATI 9600XT 128 mb
Hitachi 160 gb
ABIT AS8 Socket T (LGA 775)
Old 05-16-2005, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I am guessing you mean I should format the 120GB? How can I do that if it doesn't even appear in "my computer"?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

make sure your IDE and plugged all the way in (use a little force if you gotta)

you can also try the hdd on another computer to see if it gets recognized or use another IDE cable

I don\'t play for fun, I play to win and winning is fun.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Make sure that the boot drive is on the primary (master) ide,alone. Hook that new hd to a seperate ide cable as slave.

or just install the new drive alone on your system and format it. and then try to hook it up as secondary/slave and see if you can see it under "my computer"

you should be able to see it under "my computer" regardless
it would be considered :d or :e depending what other devices you have hooked up. It would just be seen as 0 gb(if it did not have a operating system.

Closed Thread