Black Friday - LCD choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
Hey all,

I'm in the market for a 17" LCD, and have a couple quick questions. First, I will be using it for design, and not gaming.

Is refresh rate as important if I'm not gaming, and not planning on watching much video/tv? There are a lot of good deals on 25ms screens, but all the talk is 12-15 ms. Any thoughts there?

Second, interface. almost any monitor on sale this weekend is analog. I know digital is a ton better, but again, will it make a big difference in apps other than gaming?

Basically, right now I have a nice 19" NEC flat CRT, and I want to add a 2nd monitor. I'm deciding whether to ditch the CRT and get 2 17" "good" LCDs ($500-ish total), or keep it and get a "great" 17" LCD ($450ish) and then get another down the road when they price drop again.

OK, sorry to ramble. Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks, Richard

I would say go for the one that is the best value.

You can tell by:

Refresh rates, although this wont make that big a difference if you arent gaming.
Analog vs. Digital, from my knowledge it's all just one is more expensive than the other.

Most honestly if I were you, I would get a second NEC 19'' because they have the best image quality compared to LCD's.

Most of the LCD monitors have DVI which is digital. It is your video card that will be the determining factor. I did exactly what you listed as your first option except I bought a great 19" LCD to go with a great 19" CRT. Guess which one I use the most, yep the LCD. With the rebates, you should be able to get great 19" LCD around $500-550ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom