Bios Upgrade Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASUS sucks, hands down. They used to be top mobo makers, but now their quality is slipping and tech-support is nonexistant unless you speak taiwanese. This is just my opinion Blind_Arrow just like you not liking ABit is yours so please don't come back with "whatever abit sucks asus rocks" cause we each have our own opinion and I respect your opinion of liking ASUS and not ABit. I've flashed this ABit board more than 10 times and only had one problem and that was because I messed up and chose the wrong BIOS. I've used their flash utility time and time again and as long as you choose UPDATE FROM FILE and have your own BIOS selected on your desktop you'll be fine. I've never had a problem with it that way. I've heard that simply doing the 'Update BIOS from server' can be somewhat iffy.

as in Asus, old BIOS is only replaced, once new BIOS is installed completely
It doesn't matter if you picked the wrong BIOS to begin with which I believe is what he did. Besides, if you are halfway through flashing your BIOS with any board and power is interuppted, then you're pretty much screwed. It's gotta start writing the BIOS immediately and writing the boot sector as soon as you go to flash it so it's not like ASUS has some magical ability to not screw up a BIOS flash.

The only time I've seen a flash go wrong is USER ERROR. I have yet to see a BIOS flash that was caused from bad hardware or a bad winbased flash utility.

This is including ASUS, MSI, and ABit as I've flashed each of those brands of boards.

hmm so Nubius you say as long as its the right one then its pretty safe. You also said you've done it many times, what did you do it for? I kinda want to flash mine but do not know if its warranted.

Turn's out there's two versions of the mobo, and it was flashed with the wrong one. I have flashed previous mobo's and have had no problems. So make sure you have the right BIOS flash FoxyLoxy.

on abit boards its easy as hell, just get the utility from abit-usa.com, and find the right bios and click update from files then let it do its thing, cant mess it up

Oh I know ive heard a lot about it, theres only one version of my board, and not many people use Soyo so theres not too much to confuse, thanks for the warning though that would suck.

So Nubius.. whats the deal with doing it many times? Is it reallly useful or what?

I was wondering, you don't hear alot on these boards about Soyo, I have a Soyo mobo and I have no problems with it (CK8 Dragon Plus), are they a good mobo manufacturer?

hmm so Nubius you say as long as its the right one then its pretty safe. You also said you've done it many times, what did you do it for? I kinda want to flash mine but do not know if its warranted.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on that Foxy, but anyway the reason I did it is because I have an overclocking specific board and setup. So I was trying various modded BIOS's that arent made from the manufacturer to see which BIOS had the best setup and layout and also to see if any offered better stability for my overclock.

BTW I sometimes think I have bad computer luck but beyond that I sit there and tell myself "you know you shouldn't do it" and I'll do it anyway :p like pushing my OC or trying out all those BIOS's. I accidentally got the BIOS for NF7-S v1 when I have NF7-S v2 :( So that first bad experience taught me a valuable lesson and I haven't screwed up since :D and I've done over 15 flashes since then. I also bought a new BIOS chip and did a hot flash...quite the experience....scary as hell too lol.

oooh a hot flash eh? Id be way too scrared to do that, I dont even like to hot swap my sata drives that are not freckin doin a thing!!. Man those stupid drives have given me nothin but problems and inaction. I think that Soyo are pretty good boards im not worried about my board. Its got more features (and if you wanna look at it this way was more expensive than others) and i believe is made for oc'ing as well (well it can handle it anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom