BIOS Update/Windows activation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Well, I see that in order to support the new line of Intel CPU's that's coming out, I'll need to update my BIOS. I was thinking of getting one of the newer CPU's, but I'll have to see. In the meantime, if I do get the new CPU, I had a question about updating my BIOS (I'll only do this if I do indeed get one of the new CPU's [most likely an e8400, heh]). I was looking through the Gigabyte manual for my mobo, and I saw that it said after you update your BIOS, you should load the optimized defaults. I was wondering if this was necessary, or can I just leave all of my BIOS settings like they were, and it'll still work all right? Or should I reset to default, and then re-adjust everything?

Also, while I'm here I'll ask this as well: I have XP on one drive, and Vista on another drive with Ubuntu dual-booting. Now, I was wondering, do both XP/Vista have to be reactivated if I change my CPU? Or is that only if the motherboard is changed? I can't remember which it is...

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it =).

Restore defaults and then readjust.

It is a toss up on the reactivation. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but usually.

Ok, thanks for the help Trotter. I guess if I have to reactivate I'll just tell them my HDD crashed or something xD.

Go ahead and tell them the CPU died. MS regards changing the motherboard as a new system.

Sorry completely off topic but trotter what happened to your avatar?

yeah if you tell them you changed mobos you have to jump thru hoops to get a new number. and talk to some dude in malaysia if the automated system doesn't approve your request.

Mine or Trotter's? If you mean mine, I've never had one lol.

yeah if you tell them you changed mobos you have to jump thru hoops to get a new number. and talk to some dude in malaysia if the automated system doesn't approve your request.
Yeah, that's what I've heard. I've had to reactivate customers' copies of Windows before, and only once I've had to talk to an actual person.

I'll keep that stuff in mind, though.

It's a little summin-summin JuiceDaddy whipped up for a little ways back. It's still the same dude, just in a button. Since Juice made it for me, it is completely unique. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom