BIOS reports hardware values wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
but i wouldn't suggest over clocking your ram. Just for the record if your were thinking about it

...an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ at 266MHz FSB... will not allow me to increase the FSB beyond 233MHz

annoyed llama you are misunderstanding how FSB and multplier are used. the correct setting for your motherboard is this:

your current CPU external frequency: 233Mhz
change it to 133Mhz.

change cpu frequency multiplier to: 15

why? because your CPU runs at 2000MHz and CPU FSB of 133Mhz x multiplier of 15 = 1995 which is really 2000 because the exact number is 133.33333.... x 15 = 2000.

I also have installed a 512MB PC3200 (400Mhz) DDR stick of RAM. The motherboard supports PC3200 RAM. The BIOS reports the memory frequency at 200MHz and I cannot increase this to 400MHz.

again you are misunderstanding. your memory frequency should be 200 (which is it and is correct) which is double pumped by the double data rate memory to 400Mhz. nothing is broken it is set correctly.

to learn more about how this all works:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?threadid=20942

Per your information, changing the memory frequency to 200MHz will solve my memory problem (or at least whatever problem I thought I had).

Now on the topic of determining my multiplier. I take the clock speed of my CPU (2GHz) and divide it by the intended FSB (266MHz), correct? That gives me a multiplier of 7.5, which should be the factory locked multiplier for my particular CPU. Is this correct? If not please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I'm sorry for the constant misunderstanding, it normally takes a while for me to get things down.

As always, all help is appreciated.

Upon more browsing of the internet I came across this forum discussion: http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/15892/

The problem described was exactly the same as mine.

Thank you all for your help. Your information has helped greatly and even taught me a few things I didn't know (which isn't really all that hard). I'm tickled by the willingness of all of you to get involved and I plan on coming back for help with whatever problems I may have in the future.

Take it easy fellas.

Mis-read reading my fault. To get maultiplier you take advertised bus divide it by 2 since its double pumped and divide that into clock speed

Now that everything is working it looks like I have some rebate forms to fill out. Thanks again everyone for all of your help and input.

Danke.

Per your information, changing the memory frequency to 200MHz will solve my memory problem (or at least whatever problem I thought I had).

no, i would strongly advise you to set your memory "by SPD" serial presence detect instead of manually setting to 200Mhz. information displayed at bootup (called your computer POST power on self test) should display your memory correctly as pc3200 at 400Mhz.

Now on the topic of determining my multiplier. I take the clock speed of my CPU (2GHz) and divide it by the intended FSB (266MHz), correct? That gives me a multiplier of 7.5, which should be the factory locked multiplier for my particular CPU. Is this correct? If not please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

no that is not correct. multiplier equals CPU clock speed divided by CPU enternal frequency.

multiplier = clock speed / CPU external frequency

remember what i said about your frequency is doubled by the memory? so take half of that FSB.

example you have xp2400 CPU with 266Mhz front side bus. your CPU external frequency is 133.33333.....Mhz and your CPU clock speed is 2000Mhz. take clock speed (2000Mhz) and divide by CPU external frequncy ( 133.3333....) you end up with multiplier is 15.

for CPU with 333Mhz FSB front side bus your CPU external frequency is 166.66666....

don't worry about asking many questions. it is better to open your mouth and feel foolish for a few minutes than to not ask any questions and be a fool forever. . . .that and plus some of us have nothing else better to do :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom