BIOS flash causing boot problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sven4077

Beta member
hey,
I made one of those 'read the manual entirely before continuing errors' earlier. I attempted to flash my MBs BIOS using the correct ROM provided by the MB maker. I'm pretty sure it would have worked, however it turns out the jumper on the MB that protects the BIOS from being flashed was on, so I think it didnt get wiped. The problem is, now it wont boot. All I get is a blank screen, and the CD-ROM drives keep spinning. I figure I royally screwed up. Is it possible to fix the problem without getting a new board, BIOS, or take it into the shop? I'm not technically illiterate, I know what I'm doing. My MB is a matsonic MS8137C. I would like to know all possible methods of fixing my problem. Thanks for the help. Its greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately a bad flash = mobo is a paperweight.

If you're referring to the CMOS jumper, well that doesn't have to be moved when you're doing a BIOS flash, that's something completely different. If your computer doesn't boot at all and you've cleared the CMOS and it still doesn't boot I'm afraid it sounds like you've incorrectly flashed your BIOS. Read this article I wrote for TF Regarding BIOS Flashings gone bad ;)

I wrote it right after I screwed mine up :p

http://www.techist.com/computer_articles/bios-flashing-recovery.php

Dernit! The Major beat me to it!

Well shit. Thanks anyways. I've been wanting a new motherboard anyways.

EDIT: My motherboard has 2 seperate jumpers. BIOS protection and CMOS reset.

I've been wanting a new motherboard anyways.
lol np, you could just get a new BIOS chip like I explained in that article. Worked great for me so now I have a spare BIOS chip just incase I screw up again :p which hopefully I don't.....or like you said atleast you can get a new mobo ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom