bios checksum error - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default bios checksum error

hi, ive had my computer for 2 years now. It was built for me by a friend of mine. When I got it installed I chose not to have a floppy drive. Ive had no serious problems with it until recently. I usually keep my computer on for long periods of time before ever restarting or shutting it down. Most recently I shut down my computer and when I turned it back on I got an error message with nonstop beeping. It said:
Award Bootblock BIOS v1.0
BIOS ROM Checksum error
Detecting Floppy Drive A Media
Drive A Error. System Halt.
So I restarted about 10 times and each time it would just go to that screen and beep. So I unplugged the power supply and waited a couple minutes. Restarted the computer and went into BIOS. I wasnt sure what I was doing but I looked under BIOS FEATURE SETUP and it said 1st boot device was FLOPPY, i changed that to hdd-0, then as 2nd boot device i chose cdrom, and 3rd i chose hdd-1. then i went into Standard CMOS Features and it said that I had a floppy drive. so I changed it to none. saved the changes and computer booted up without a problem. Then I saw in My Computer that I had an A Drive. So I went into Device Manager and removed it. This was about a week ago until now where it happened again. Did the same steps and I was able to boot up the comp again. Not sure what the problem is since I never had a floppy drive. any help would be great

thanks

Old 03-03-2005, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You have your bios set to auto-detect drives.If the floppy is good turn off your bios virus detector and it will install,otherwise remove the floppy or turn off auto detect.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hi thanks for the reply. but im not sure what you mean because i do not have a floppy drive on my computer and I never did
any ohter ideas?
Old 03-03-2005, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Oh,I'm sorry,I misunderstood you.I've had PC's tell me that I had stuff on-board that were never there in the past heheh.I would go thru the routine of removing it as if it were there then shut off the auto detect(in bios) and see if that works.It could be the "seek floppy on boot-up" that is quirky also.<blink>(try this first-disable it)</blink>
Old 03-03-2005, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

well, what about a jazz or zip drive... it would show up like that... what drives DO you have, just out of curiousity

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 03-03-2005, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hi just a cdrw drive and two hard drives

i was doing a search on some forums and it said it could be the battery of the mobo? im not too sure. its just whenever i reset it to no floppy on bios, and i restart or shut down the comp itll come up again
Old 03-03-2005, 11:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

check for a 'boot up floppy seek' make sure its disabled. also try turning off the PnP in the bios, see if that helps so we can narrow it down...

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 03-03-2005, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hi yes i have to disable it in bios before i can get to using the computer but whenever i restart it, it gets reset and i get the error again
Old 03-04-2005, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

then you may wanna try a new battery

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread