Bios Beep Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulger07

Solid State Member
I am trying to find out what the meaning of a particular beep sequence is. I am working on a HP Pavilion XT963 (crap) that will not post. Originally it would not post if the front serial port was connected to the motherboard, disconnected it and booted up. I didn't pay attention to the post screen to catch the bios info.
I shut it down and now when I try to boot up I get a series of beeps 3-1-4-3. I have a book to look up beep codes but haven't found a listing for any bios with a series of four. I double checked to make sure that I was hearing right.
I was unable to get bios info on this model from HP's site. Imagine that.
Any info appreciated.

Thanks for the quick reply - I did open the case and there is no Bios sticker anywhere. I found TUW-AM and googled it. Came back as Yellowstone.

The chip shows Intel 810. the only thing stamped on the mobo is "TUW-AM".Right above where the mobo is stamped, there is a small chip with a sticker on it that reads "twah2".Above the video connector there is a sticker that reads "TUW-AM(YELLOWSTONE-WGAS)/HP".
This morning I tried to boot the PC and it would not even give me post beeps, I unplugged everything from the mobo except CPU, memory, and USB connectors, and it posted.( I didn't mean to leave USB connected, just missed it when unplugging all else)
I plugged everything back in with the exception of the suspected serial port, and the PC booted into Windows.
I am beginning to believe that the mobo might just need to be replaced.Am I wrong in this? Any and all input appreciated.

Thats the kicker - nothing- she doesn't use it for anything- just wants it to work because it is on the front of the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom