big problems with sapphire 9000 pro - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2003, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default big problems with sapphire 9000 pro

Hello all,

Having some major problems with my 9000 pro. Any suggestions, advice, tech support is great appreciated.

Noticed my vid card was making some really loud consistent (every 2 secs or so) "revving" noises today, so i went to take a closer look. Pu my hand on the plastic frame of the card and it was vibrating on each rev (i was grounded on the metal case frame). Took the drive out, blew the dust off and reinstalled. Started up and now getting a message saying their was a device failure, and the ati drivers were either missing or again, device failure. Comp runs, but the screen is AWEFUL. Can't even see anything really. blocky, fuzzy, distorted colors, shadowing, etc. My driver is up to date, and the card is installed correctly. Hardware profile says the card is working correctly. safe mode is a LITTLE better looking, but still some debris.

As is, the system is unusable (on a laptop now). Does anyone have any ideas at all as to what the problem could be. The card is about a year old, and has had no problems so far. I have a feeling it's fried, but am not sure and don't want to go get a new one if this one can be brought back to life.

I am up the creek here...

Old 12-13-2003, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to jon15n

I'm assuming that you put your hand on the card while the computer was running--or plugged in..?
Did you take the drive out with either the computer running or plugged in?
I never mess with internal equipment until the computer is unplugged.
Something must have happened when you were messing with it, my guess is, and it had to do with electricity. Those graphic cards, or at least the one that I had- a 64MB geforce 4 mx440, was very durable and went find from computer to computer.
Intel P4 2.8GHz H/T
1.5GB PC2700
160GB HD
Windows XP Professional
Closed Thread