Better TFlop Definition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vector_anomaly

Solid State Member
Ok I just read an artical about the new PS3 and the speculations of its guts. They said that it should operate at 1tflops. Could somone give a very, super basic explination of a Tflop, and some comparisons to make it more understandable.
Thanks.

vector_anomaly,

By measuring the floating point operations performed per second, the speeds of the computers can be rated. so 1 teraflop is 1 trillion floating point operations performed per second.

Now for e.g , all the super computers are rated as flops. Since we can't rate them as Ghz or some other standard. IF iam right , present super computer [Earth simulator ] runs at 37 Tera flops.
But recently i read an article in slashdot that, IBM 's blue gene [am not sure of the name] have topped it to some 70 TF

I have no idea about the PS3 thou....

vector_anomaly,

Yes of course, But i couldn't see how a PS3 operates at such high speeds :confused: . [I guess, its raw processing power ]

T-Flops, called Tera Flops, is floating point instruction per second. so tera equals trillion Floating point instructions persecond. giga for billion (as current GPU's are nearly 200 GigaFlops (Radeon X800-XT is 210 i believe).

tera flops is only seen in super coputing, as they calculate is tera range. highest being is 35 tera flops (whic is i think weather forecast servers @ yokohama japan)

The playstation 3 will be so powerful because it will be based on a "cell processor" that is a joint venture between IBM and Sony. The first I heard of this was earlier today on tomshardware.com, but I can't seem to find the article now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom