Which is the better system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackmanOne

Baseband Member
1. INTEL SYSTEM

CPU Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.0GHz FSB800 512KB H. Threading
Memory 1024MB DDR400 PC3200 Memory (Major Brand)
Mother Board ASUS P4P800 Mother Board
Hard Drive 1 Samsung 160GB 7200RPM IDE 8MB Cache Serial ATA
Optical Drive 1 Sony 52X32X48 CD-RW
Video ASUS V9950 GFX-5900 128MB DDR
Audio Onboard Audio
Network Card Onboard 10/100 Mbps Network Card
Case Noblesse Case
Power Supply 480 Watt Thermaltake SILENT Power Sup.Dual Fan Control W0014

2. AMD 64 SYSTEM

CPU AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 754PIN
Memory 1024MB DDR400 PC3200 Memory (Major Brand)
Mother Board ASUS K8V Deluxe Mother Board
Hard Drive 1 Samsung 160GB 7200RPM IDE 8MB Cache Serial ATA
Optical Drive 1 LG 52X32X52 CD-RW (black)
Optical Drive 2 LiteOn 16X DVD-ROM (black)
Video ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128MB DDR, AGP8X DVI TV-Out
Audio Onboard Audio
Network Card Onboard 10/100 Mbps Network Card
Case Xpider Color Case (Black)
Power Supply 480 Watt Thermaltake SILENT Power Sup.Dual Fan Control W0014

Which is better? I plan on having one of these throughout 4 years of university (only Video Card would be upgraded), so which computer is better now, and for the long run?

You will probably get higher performance with the P4 3.0 system provided that the RAM used is low latency RAM. However, you will get much better performance with the 9600XT than the FX5900. If you can have them throw in a better video card, I would pick the P4 system.

Not only that, I love the looks of the Noblesse case but that won't help you with performance.

-Target

no I think the Athlon 64 is the better PC, the 64's performed better than P4's even at 32 bit, plus you get 64 bit. Also the Radeon cards are favourable to the Geforces.

sorry, Apokalipse is correct, you will get better performance with the Athlon 64. I misread your post when I said that the P4 would give you better performance. On the whole, that Athlon 64 with the ATI card will outperform the P4 system that you have listed there.

I don't believe that the winXP 64 bit version has been released yet.

-Target

Personally I always go AMD over intel these days... i would agree with the general consensus here that the AMD Athlon 64 is the better processor, i think i read a comparison on toms hardware a while ago... it looks like a great processor... (I have an athlon 1900+ and so would be insanely jealous :))

But isn't there like, no hardware out there yet that supports the 64-bit, and the 64-bit processor is much more expensive than the highest AMD 32-bit?

True_Orb said:
But isn't there like, no hardware out there yet that supports the 64-bit, and the 64-bit processor is much more expensive than the highest AMD 32-bit?

True, but even without any 64 bit apps the AMD64 still runs on par with many P4's, to which even the best Athlon XP's could barely keep up with:confused:

The Merlin said:
True, but even without any 64 bit apps the AMD64 still runs on par with many P4's, to which even the best Athlon XP's could barely keep up with:confused:

And your computer would be ready when all of home computing takes a jump to 64 bit...and trust me...it will.

Which is better? I plan on having one of these throughout 4 years of university (only Video Card would be upgraded), so which computer is better now, and for the long run?

This applies especially if you want to keep your computer compatible in the future...if you go with a 64 bit CPU, then it will be a better computer in the four years when all new CPUs will be 64 bit...while the 32 bit will be obselete. Besides, in my opinion it is STILL better then the other option today. For both the AMD processor AND the ATI video card. I would definetly go with that one.

Oh...and if you use Linux at all, there are already 64 bit Linux distros out there...which can take advantage of the extra power already.

qiranworms said:
And your computer would be ready when all of home computing takes a jump to 64 bit...and trust me...it will.

This applies especially if you want to keep your computer compatible in the future...if you go with a 64 bit CPU, then it will be a better computer in the four years when all new CPUs will be 64 bit...while the 32 bit will be obselete. Besides, in my opinion it is STILL better then the other option today. For both the AMD processor AND the ATI video card. I would definetly go with that one.

Oh...and if you use Linux at all, there are already 64 bit Linux distros out there...which can take advantage of the extra power already.

OK, but 64 bit won't be huge till ATLEAST 2006, and by then I'll have overhauled my PC atleast twice;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom