Best way to discharge comp? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Best way to discharge comp?

What's the best way to ground comp to prevent it from getting damaged when installing new hardwares?

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2005, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

You don't ground the computer. You ground yourself so you don't conduct electricity from the floor or something and fry something.

Just touch the metal edge of your case before messing with any hardware and you're grounded. Or you could buy an actual grounding strip that attaches to your wrist, has a cord that connects to something and that'll keep you grounded too

Old 01-19-2005, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Do I have to hold on to the metal edge while working on the computer?
Old 01-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Nope, just gotta touch it to make sure any electricity within you is discharged to the metal part of the case.

It's just static electricity, I know you've had to have played with socks and a baloon before. You gotta charge up the friction before you can get a spark, once you release that spark it's completely gone unless you charge it up again.

Just make a habit of touching the metal edge of your case a couple times or even metal doorhandle or something to make sure any electric current is gone.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

like said above but gonna add the following. Make sure it is a non painted/finished/laminated surface that you touch. Just pure metal. Also, best way is to use your free hand, touch the metal and while touching the metal, touch the electric component you need, after that go ahead and release the metal. Anytime you touch electic component touch something metal and keep a hold on it until you make contact with the component. Also, working on a fuzzy carpet is a no no.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 01-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to Matrix-D

or you can keep a cup of water close by and stick your fingers in it. that discharges them too. but it can get stuff wet...

Closed Thread