best processor, not for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
This may start wars. All I see on the board are comments and suggestions about what is best for gaming. Understandable. Please read on.

I am torn between the 2.8 ghz 800 fsb P4 (northwood) and the AMD 64 3000+. I've looked through benchmarks (again, mostly gaming) and the AMD shines. I am building a system primarily for content creation... Adobe apps (Photoshop, Illustrator... not so much Premiere and video, but good performance there would also be nice), Drewamweaver, Flash, etc.

I'll have pretty much identical setup (other than mobo, obviously) in either system - 512 or a gig of high end PC3200, either a new sata or my current 7200 rpm 8 mb WD.

What do you guys (and gals) recommend?

Well I'm pretty sure that for apps and stuff the AMD is is the way to go, they are much more efficient at such things.

As for the RAM unless you are gonna run lots of programs simultanously and ultra powerful apps like 3DsMax than 512mb should be plenty unless you have cash to burn on that other 512mb;)

well personally, if that's all you're doing, why even spend so much on a chip? geeze, go get a 2500+ and like at least a gig of ram, 512 will not serve your purposes if you push a lot of graphic programs. and please, why the 64bit? to be cool? you're a guinie pig.. should wait like 2 years, spend more money on your ram and get a nice cpu that doesn't burn your pockets 2500+ can be overclocked to 2.2ghz just by changing the fsb to 200, so you have a hardcore 2.2 chip running at 400fsb for only 80 bucks! and you can spend it on ram!
Intel can lick my stick =)

Both great processors, it is more a matter of personal taste. I would go with whatever is cheaper. I run both AMD and Intel. Intel runs a bit cooler, I do like that with Intel, but for the most part AMD is cheaper.

Cherubimon_3.20 said:
I think it comes out during the summer.

Codenamed Tejas isn't it??:confused:

Why stop at the 2500+?? If you don't want to overclock then get a 2700 or 2800 for a couple bucks more:rolleyes:

If you really have to have one of the 2, go with the AMD. The 64bit will help you, if you've seen the preview of the Win XP 64 bit Ed. it does a lot better then with 32 bit, mostly in the kinds of programs you are running. Don't wait, there is always a better processor on the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom