Best Practices: Tech Help Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

msgsu

Beta member
I hope this is the right forum, there didn't seem to be anywhere else to post this, so......

I was just hired as the com/net admin at a company. This is my first time actually having the actual position. In previous jobs I was just that guy who helped out with the tech stuff, so the official capacity is new to me.

At my new job they are trying to overhaul my position. They want to come up with better proceedures for how the company handles service requests. I have tried googling for my info but can't seem to get any good resources. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where I could look to find best practices and suggested guidelines on how we can best recreate the help desk function of my job.

Thanks!

How do they currently handle them?

It would be difficult to come up with "policy" on tech support, it seems to me. I mean, essentially the whole point of tech support is to help the enduser solve a problem. So, it's just a matter of answering questions, right?

Maybe we need more information to help with this one :)

I don't think they had any standards before. It was just one guy who had it all "up there" *points to head*. At least thats what I keep hearing. Everything was just handled as it came up with no rhyme or reason as to priority or accountability after the job was done.

I think what we are looking for are effective ways to standardize a tech help desk for an organization of about 30 users. Ways to take service requests, how to log and prioritize them, and accountability after the task is completed. Include also something that has to do with pre-emptive training in anticipation for new services or projects that will be handled by the users.

Does that paint a better picture?

be careful, once its all on paper... they give you the axe! j/k... i actually dont have anything useful so i'll just gracefully bow out

First, get organized. Find a software solution for helpdesk tasking, like FireStarter or Serio.

Also, try this: Helpdesk Software Listing

Second, get some plocies in place, about ticket entry, return, information gathering, response timeframe, etc.

Lastly, mark a date on your calendar 1-1.5 years from now, and write under it "Day I Quit and Find Better Job"

This is the helpdesk we use only the free version which has a **** of a lot of features!

http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/service-desk/download.html?free

we basically use it as a job logging system there's a few technicians on different floors so to make sure we don't collide doing similar jobs we log them on the system and get emails back.

There's also a solutions section so you can fix a problem and write about it so others can read. Its all very handy not sure if its got everything you want but considering its free cant complain :D there is a pro version but have not used that.

ShoobieRat said:

Lastly, mark a date on your calendar 1-1.5 years from now, and write under it "Day I Quit and Find Better Job"

lmao

Lastly, mark a date on your calendar 1-1.5 years from now, and write under it "Day I Quit and Find Better Job" [/B]

My dad always told me it was "Find Better Job THEN Quit", but I will take your advice instead. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom