• Design And Architect

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Java

• Hardware Engineering

• Red Hat Linux

• MCA (Master In Computer Administartion)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

talldude123

Banned
in your opinion, which is the best microsoft office version?

My personal opinion is office 2002/XP, doesnt use a load of HD space, and has a nice interface.

There is nothing wrong with OpenOffice.org IMO. I've only had 2 issues with that product so far - which I already reported. :). I talked with one of the developers on their tracking system, and he said he fixed it already. I mainly use the OOo "Word" and "Excel" btw. (writer and calc)

It's not a fair comparison really. MS Office costs a large amount of money and I am sure it has more "features". I mean why shouldn't it? They have full time well-paid coders whose only job is to work on that product. But, does the price justify it? H*** no. One of the biggest features that was lacking in OOo 1.1 was the format painter. But OOo 2.0 introduced that into the product - even if it has a few obscure bugs.

Overall, there is nothing that I haven't been able to "not do" with OOo. If you think there is something that justifies the hundreds of dollars you'll have to spend with MS Office, then please list some of them. :)... Maybe there are somethings missing in OOo Powerpoint/Impress. But for my presentations, OOo is more than sufficient.

I write documents, posters, presentations, and other <10 page stuff in OOo usually. ANything larger - thesis, reports, journal papers - I always use LaTeX. Which is superior to BOTH MS Office AND OpenOffice.org by far at writing large reports with formulae and such.

how is open office free?
microsoft charges money for office because the creators of office need money...

how is openoffice funded?

Goodwill of programmers :).. People volunteer their time to progress the project. Think of it as volunteer work. That's how Linux products also progress. And I am sure organizations donate money as well. I would imagine this helps to pay for equipment and payroll "some" people.

btw, LaTeX is also completely free. I use the MiKTex variant.

talldude123 said:
how is open office free?
microsoft charges money for office because the creators of office need money...

how is openoffice funded?

Sun funds openoffice because they pwn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom