(Best gaming) AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

runescaper

Baseband Member
I am thinking of building a gaming machine. I don't know if this question was asked before but which is better, AMD or Pentium when it comes to gaming. What about prices, which is more affordable but still good? Thanks

AMD is the gamers dream (by most) for gaming. You cant get better for the use of computers (gaming). Intel is way better in the world of applications and software running. Most here will agree...I think

Ok, I looked around for some Athlon's and decided to go with and AMD Athlon 64 3000+ or a 3200+. I found that the only difference between them is that the 3000+ has a 512k cache while the other has a 1GB cache. There is a 80 canadian doller difference between them. So would it be worth it to get a 1GB cache processor? I also found a motherboard which I think is pretty good. Here are the links to all three items, prices are in canadian dollers:

Asus K8V Deluxe VIA Socket 754 ATX Motherboard / AGP 8X / Audio / Gigabit LAN / USB 2.0 / Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=630739&CatId=1180

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ / 1MB Cache / 1600MHz FSB / Socket 754 / Processor
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=627472

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ / 512KB Cache / 1600MHz FSB / Socket 754 / Processor
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=698445

What do you think?

Looks like a good choice on the mobo. I prefer intels because thats all ive ever used but i hear very good things about amds. I would go with the 3200+ if you dont mind spending the extra bucks. If youre not in a rush you might wanna try searching around a few more sites and maybe even ebay to try and find a 3400+ for the same price or less. The extra speed will definitely help in those taxing situations like a mean game of doom 3. Also try and pair it with a good graphics card and a gig of really good memory. I myself like corsair xms.

runescaper a 1gb cache would be nice to have, anyway.

get the 3200+ the 1mb cache will do u nicely, and thats a nice board u chose.

I'd say the Athlon 64's take the cake in gaming
they are the best performing CPU's in benchmarks and will handle anything you throw at them

My friend is in the process of building his PC, and the only thing he hasn't got so far is his Athlon 64 3800+
he got a GeCube Radeon X800 Pro VIVO and he soft-modded it to an XT by flashing it and putting in the XT's BIOS

he tried it in his Athlon XP which usually gets less than 1000 in Futuremark, and he got about 8300, then when he flashed it and put in the XT's BIOS he got over 10,000 - it's a bloody awesome card

- anyhoo, go Athlon 64, and if you can, go socket 939 as it supports dual channel memory

yeah, AMD is best for gaming, but dont get a 754 socket, as apokalipse said, get a socket 939, they support dual channel memory, and they will be really easy to upgrade in the future, where as the socket 754 is going to be used by the standard Athlon XP's. so it doesnt have much of a future.

I was thinking of a 3000 or a 3200. then someone suggested 3400, then a 3800. I looked up the 3800 on ebay, and to be honest, am not rich enough to spend over 1000 canadian on a motherboard and processor bundle. I think I will settle with the 3200 because I will not be upgrading it much since in a year or 2 I will be leaving to university and will probably give it up to my brother. I have one question. When I search for the K8V motherboard in ebay, I found it as Asus K8V SE Deluxe. Not the same exact name and I keep hearing bad things about SE versions. Is this the same motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom