best cheap CPUs for servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbernie41

In Runtime
I want to make my own personal server, and I want it to be cheap.
So what would be a good CPU and mobo for a total of around $150 or below?

Also, how much ram would you recommend?

Its going to be a small site so there is no need for anything fancy.

wow... thats a LOW budget.. $150 is about how much a CPU is going to cost u if u want a decent one..

yea i guess the 2500+ is good enough... but i would stretch ur budget as far as u can.. try n atleast get a 2800+ or somethin like that.. and if ur on a low budget with the RAM to.. i guess just get 512MB (256MBx2) PC3200

well yea.. i guess... if he wants... i have 2 sticks of 52MB PC2700.. and it does work fine.. so yea.. i guess u could go with the PC2700

well you cant really make a good server at all with that kinda budget hll need at least 1 g of ram and a big hd(s)

i think you will find that it depends on what he wants it for, i would agree that he needs a gig of ram but it wouldnt have to be PC3200. the CPU should be no lower than a 2500+ and the hard drive space depends totaly on what its for though 120Gb would be the minimum.

What would take up that much space on the hard drive? Wouldnt I just need the OS and the files that would be on the site?

Yeah I think you guys are crazy! you don't need a 120GB hdd, all you need is a 7200RPM or above 80GB one, and maybe a smaller... say 10GB one for the OS and small apps.

Hey I was wondering.... I have a server that I want to sell it's nothing fancy. It has dual Pentium II's, 50 and 68 pin onboard SCSI, 4mb ATI Rage Pro Garphics, and a small Quantam Fireball 3GB HDD. I can Install Red Hat Linux Server Edition OS,including MySQL If you want. Interested? if not its going on ebay. 200$????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom