Belkin Pre-N vs Linksys SRX router...the real deal? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2005, 01:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Pre-n stays greatly faster at distance, where as wireless-g starts losing reception quickly. My wireless-g connection alone can download programs from the net at double the speed of my home computer (but only faster seemingly during a streaming connection as opposed to opening links) which is wired directly to the cable router (150kb/s average vs 300+kb/s wireless-g speed). I have no idea how my wireless connection is faster than the wired connection coming from the same router, but hey I'll take that.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to timmer

well u cant really judge it that way cause maybe there arent as many peers and all that try it again but use this link it will tell u how fast u donwload at for real
it will tell u how fast u donwload and ur sonnection speed in kbps

Intel p4 HT 3.0GHz
1 16x Toshiba dvd burner
2 sticks of corsair ddr2 533mhz 512mb
GeForce Fx 6600GT
Asus P5LD2
480W thermaltake
Old 07-23-2005, 10:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Techie

That is a very useful link, I never realized it existed. Well, I was indeed wrong, results:

Wired cable connection: 4.4mb/550kbps

Wireless-G connection from upstairs: 2.5mb/330kbps

However, I just figured out the deal with reception, ANTENNA PLACEMENT!!! My computer is near a back house window upstairs, while the router is near a window on the same wall downstairs. The router sits on top of the pc tower directly in front of the downstairs window. I had all three antennas directly verticle (best reception from my experience with Yagi elements), where I was getting the 36-48mbps. I simply aimed the 3 antennas at a 45 degree pointing out the window, and bam, now I have the 54mbps the Linksys was getting. So small movements with antennas can make substantial changes in connection quality.

Closed Thread