Powmax Demon 580W PSU
Lite-On 8x DVD-RW Burner
LG 52x CD-ROM Drive
Generic 3 1/2 Floppy Drive
XFX GeForce 6600GT AGP8x
Thermaltake XASERIII KB+M
Western Digital 80 GB HDD
Maxtor 60 GB HDD

Can someone argue against getting a socket 754 processor? I don't see any reason not to because by the time the 754 A64s are phased out, it will be time to upgrade anyway.

Well, I'll just fill you in on the differences between 754 and 939.

754 sockets are not dual channel memory compatible. This obviously means a smaller data bandwidth transfer rate. 754 doesn't support hypertransport either.

Yeah if you're getting a 3400+ you might as well get 3200+ or 3500+ in socket 939.

754 will decrease a lot of your performance IMO

754 has HyperTranpsort, it is just the 1600 MHz version which is the Single Channel version. The 2000 MHz version is the Dual Channel version. Secondly, on AMD Tech, there is this one guy who runs a 3500+ and a 3400+. On stock, the 3400+ did better.

What my biggest problem is that if I get anywhere near 939, then head gets filled with thoughts of upgradability. PCIe, gotta order it now!

I thought exactly the same way. I got a Socket 754 because it saved me enough money to get a GeForce 6800, which is what I wanted. There is almost no one out there who doesnt replace their motherboard when they upgrade their cpu, so you cant say your buying a 939 chip for upgradeability. Usually by the time sane people upgrade the chip, there is something newer and better out requireing a newer better board. So, the only logical reason, that I could see to go with a Socket 939 Chip is the Dual Channel DDR, and honestly the 6800 was worth much more than dual channel ddr, I would say even more so because I can't afford expensive ram. But there are obviously people who have different opinions. I went my way because I was able to buy a better peice of hardware. But I am sure sometime in the future when I can afford it I will move to 939.

If I go 939, then my budget will only allow for a 9600XT and the 600GT will whoop. I'm in the same spot as you...Blackmoore. Considering I'm an overclocker...I will not stop until I get his high enough. My friend has his at 2.9 GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom