is this bad for your computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's not. As long as it's kept cool, you can run for as long as you like. I've left my comp on for a month sometimes. Also if you're leaving it on for days or weeks, you should also reboot the computer like every 2-3 days, to clear the RAM.

well, its not bad for the computer but... it may be considered socially irresponsible to use energy you dont need... it is also not good (not bad, but not good) for the moving parts of your computer, i.e. fans, hdds

I have fried a HDD bu leaving my computer on for a couple of days. But my CPU temps do go above 60C because of overclocking. If it was cool enough you could leave it for months.

I have a friend that never turns his computer off. He has had it about 13 months now so it has been runing for 13 months flat

no, not at all. but if you dont care about the electrical bill, then gohead and leave it on, but it will raise your bill [slightly]. tho, after time it will loose stability (like over the course of a few months) from old stuff that is in the ram, so pretty much, the longer it is on, the slower it gets untill you reboot. and its smart to (and any other time) regulary scan for viruses, defrag, and check the disk.

ps tell your freind to turn off the pc and clean it out, i imagine that there is like 1cm of dust inside. and with the increased on time of the pc, it will accumulate dust faster inside the pc, so if you plan to have it on as long as your freind, get some fan filters for it.

My friend has some old dells which he hasnt turned off for like months now and they seem fine
(there has been a few accidental shutdowns)

I used to have my past computer on pretty much 24/7 (very rarely off, at least not for extended periods of time). It's still well and kicking, and it's been a good 2-3 years. I think computers are designed to stay on indefinitely, unless you're overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom