bad mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enormo

Beta member
For the past couple weeks my machine(XP, Gigabyte GA-7VAX, Athalon 1.6 GHZ, pc3200) was randomly rebooting and occasionally blue screening.

First, I wanted to rule out software/driver issues (and I had been wanting to do a re-install anyways) so I tried to reinstall XP. Part way through my install I got a blue screen... so I could forget booting up again. I removed a bunch of hardware leaving only my graphics card(Gforce ti 4200), one HD, floppy, and CDROM drive. After a few more blue screened(usually different errors) attempts at a reinstall I checked the power supply and the fan was dead.

Went and bought an Antec 430W. Plugged it in and the install started working!... and then blue screened half way through. Tried the install/setup a few more times, each getting successively farther along in the process... only to bluescreen. So I tried swapping out between 3 available sticks of RAM. Mixed results all ending in failure.

Ocassionally when pushing the "power up" button the fans would hum for a few seconds and then everything would shut down.

I'm guessing a bad mobo. Any advice?

You didn't write any stop code like: STOP: 0x000007E
But try disconnecting HD, cd-rom and use only 1 RAM stick.
Boot then with floppydisc.
Is fan and MB running?
Connect HD and boot with floppydisc.
Any activity?

some of the stop codes I've recieved: 0x00000050, 0x000000D1, 0x00000024. There have been others but I got tired of writing them down.

I'll try booting from the floppy without the other devices.

With the other devices removed, booted to dos with a floppy fine. However, the first two times I tried the fans started for a few seconds and then quit and nothing happened.

this is a problem with psu or mobo. i would suspect psu as your fans need dc current and the psu provides that. but the mobo is where the power goes into and out from. So try the psu in an other systme see if it has same sysmptoms if it does walla if it doesn't try mobo in new systme and see if thats shot

shouldn't be the power source. I bought a new Antec 430W today. And I don't have another system to try out my mobo with at the moment.

If you have same symtoms with both the old and new PSU theres only MB or CPU if it gets to hot? It's not easy to search without spareparts :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom